Hi! How to texture a sculpted prim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4077 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am starting on a journey to use and texture sculpted prims for my designs. Can someone please instruct me how to texture sculpted boots? Do I need to export a grid texture with points and numbers into photoshop, place a texture on top of it, then import it into second life? I have been reading forums and searching youtube videos however I am still stuck.

If anyone has time, please meet me inworld because I am more of a visual learner.

Thank you! :smileyhappy: 

Are you making the sculpted prims yourself or are you using a template set you have bought?

If you made them yourself, you can apply textures to them in your 3d program and bake the textures so they apply correctly in SL.

If you are using templates, I imagine they come with some instructions for how to do this, but I could be wrong.

- Luc -

• Like 1

I use colored pixels... YMMV lol

or you could use this handy dandy sculpt alignment texture if you don't have the map of how the sculpt faces are arranged...

which can be cheatingly applied without upload by dropping the following script in a prim....

default{    state_entry(){        llSetTexture( "c595dad5-e439-fe75-1220-9dddf6cdf4b3", ALL_SIDES );        llRemoveInventory( llGetScriptName() );    }}

that is assuming you can't just open the sculpt in a program like zbrush and paint it directly.

the linked image is a texture created by DanielFox Abernathy, and given out free for the community to use... of course it's a web texture so you would have to upload it first.....

but instead of uploading you can create a script, paste the code in the previous post into it, and save it. then if you drop that script into a sculpt (or any prim) it will apply the same texture to all the face of the prim.... and you don't need to upload the texture (because it uses the UUID of the copy *I* already uploaded).

that particular texture shows you where the LOD points are at, in addition to giving you an idea where the surface meets up with the texture.

that's in case you don't have a downloadable copy of the sculpt map to plug into a 3d paint program, or a template for the surface.

• Like 1

ladyluck Dubrovna wrote:

Thanks Luc for your response. The shoe packages came with sculpt maps and construction guidelines.

I'm afraid I will be of little use in this case; I find it hard enough texturing sculpties I make myself, let alone ones made by others.... :o

But Void's instructions for how to use the 'test' texture - thanks Void for providing that. Thread bookmarked for that very reply - could come in very handy as long as sculpties exist in SL. I'm sure it will bring you a couple of steps closer to what you want to achieve.

Good luck with your texturing!

- Luc -

I saw your IM inworld right before my whole region crashed =X

short answer is no, you can't layer in two textures like you were thinking but if you go to the beta grid, or use a tpv with temporary uploads, what you can do is create you're new version as a layer on top of the image offered, in your paint program (and partially transparent), then upload it to see if you are getting to positions right, before finalizing it and uploading it on the main grid....

that way at least, it's not costing you.

PS
I tend to do assistance exclusively on the forums, or occasionally through the groups I am in inworld, so that my inworld time is my own. apologies for not being able to get back to you.

well if you're on 1.23.5 then might I recommend either Imprudence or Phoenix? both have temp uploads built in. although they are based on the 1.5 snowglobe code; so if you have trouble running that then another suggestion would be Cool VL (you'll have to google for the webpage), which should still have an improved version of 1.23.5 for d/l even if that edition isn't being developed anymore (it has multi-attach, layers, and display names support, as well as a few other useful tweaks)

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4077 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.