Why People crashing other pc and greif get away with it

smith Firehawk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i want to know what happen to my privacy as a secondlife user that people are still able to get my ip adress on sl and crash my pc and also griefing and people and getting away with it even when there reported and a screen shot is giving with the report this and griefers running around saying they wont get in trouble for griefing cause they have a friend that works for liden labs it is getting i cant come on sl and have fun cause i have to worry about my pc being crashed or being griefed 

1 answer to this question

Hello Smith.

There are a number of things going on here, and I'll try to explain them.

IP address:  Any time you listen to streaming music or watch streaming video on the internet, including in Second Life, the provider of the stream has the ability to know your IP address.  They have to, in order to send you the stream.  This is simply how the internet works.  If you don't want that to happen, then disable the "auto play media" setting in your preferences.

It's not illegal for someone to know your IP address.  If it were, every DJ in SL would be breaking the rules just by providing music at a club.  However, it IS against the Terms of Service for anyone who knows your IP to share it with anyone else, without your knowledge and consent.  You can Abuse Report them if they do. 

Most likely, the people crashing your PC aren't doing it by finding out your IP address, though.  It's more likely they are using a "graphic crasher"...displaying a set of very complex and corrupt textures in an attempt to get your graphics card to overload and dump you out of Second Life.  In extreme cases, this might even damage your graphics card.  You can protect yourself against graphics crashers in several ways.

1. Set your Maximum Avatar Complexity slider in your Graphics preferences to 300,000 or less
  2. If you see a lot of flashing textures and start to lag badly, zoom your camera way back, beyond your draw distance.  You will need to use the Advanced menu (CTRL+ALT+D) and set "Disable Camera Constraints" to be able to do this.
  3. You can also turn off object rendering temporarily with CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+1.
  4. You can also Mute the offender.  Right click them, select Mute, or Block.  This has the added advantage of blocking any particle-based graphics crashers.

The griefers who tell you "they have a friend at Linden Lab" are lying.  They are simply trying to aggravate you.  Ignore them.  In fact, do not communicate with them at all.  Just Mute them, file an Abuse Report, and then go someplace else.

Linden Lab does investigate all Abuse Reports.  Griefers who are repeatedly reported will be suspended or banned, but it may take several reports, depending on how nasty the pranks they are playing are.

There are a lot more places without griefers than places with them.  If you are encountering them a lot, then maybe you need to find some better places to be!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.