Extra Mainland Prims

Mick Mercy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am online on mainland about ten hours a day and things have been generally fine but the database is WAAAAAAY slower than usual (not going out and making coffee slow but VERY slow with wondering if thing will rez at all -- they usually do eventually) and I have had a few instant crashes since the change. This is not my typical mode and I have a hefty machine and can run tons of programs and versions of SL with shadows etc "normally" --- so there is some tinkering to be done on the server end still it seems.

I don't know about the rest of the sim (I have about a quarter) but I haven't used but a handful of my extra prims yet.

Just a report. Others may have other experiences.

Hmm... funny you should mention that. I've noticed slow rezzing myself over the last few days, plus (worse) a continual packet loss of around 1%. It never occurred to me but it did start around the time of the extra prim allowance.

It might not be related in the slightest, but...

I very rarely suffer from any packet loss, and when I have, I have always been able to identify the problem, even if sometimes it's taken a while. Either in my own kit (a failing NIC once, then a struggling old router) or somewhere in the routing chain that's dropping packets in general.

Not this time. I've spent the last two days mostly troubleshooting locally (eventually down to replacing all the kit right back to the incoming telco wire) and not seen any difference. I ran a continual, fast traceroute for a few hours to LL's doorway and in about 30,000 512-byte packets, I only had one lost packet (dropped by my own ISP). All the while the viewer was telling me I had 1% packet loss.

I have my ISP investigating now, but I have to wonder if it's related to the changes...

ETA: Same here with the prim usage too - I have about 12,000 sq.m of mainland and haven't used an extra prim yet. I might build a fancy skybox or store though. In my main house on the ground I can't really fit much more as it is. maybe a few extra sticks of furniture and ornaments to fill that last little gap in my GPU cache, :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.