How do i fix lag issues? I cant go anywhere or do anything without really bad lag.

Stella1077

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When i first started, everything ran perfectly fine. Lag came on gradually. first only in heavy populated locations, now its everywhere i go, and the game has basically become unplayable. Really sucks because I had a nice chunk of land that i was building on. Had to give it all up, spent all the money for nothing.

2 answers to this question

The most obvious answer is to set the graphics to low, it's a common solution it should help unless you have a lousy computer =P
I have the worst computer, so I set my Draw Distance to 64m (thats the lowest it can get)- it definitely helped A LOT for my lag problem.
Try to clear your cache, it might help as well. Also it depends on where you go- some sims are just too laggy...

Actually SL wiki has tips on this subject, try each one of the solutions: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_to_reduce_lag
If you'll still have the lag it must be something with your computer or internet, I would suggest to sale your land.

Good Luck!

It's hard to be specific without more information but since it started in heavily populated locations, it's probably render lag which is by far the most common lag issue in SL anyway. The most common causes of render lag are:

1) Render heavy avatars
Solutions: stay away from crowded places and/or reduce the maximum avatar complexity in your graphics preferences (a setting slightly over 100,000 should filter out all the excessively heavy avatars whilst leaving most sensibly assembled avatars unaffected)

2) Draw distance
As cloudnet already said.

3) LOD Factor
aka "Object & Sculpt LOD" or "RenderVolumeLODFactor". This is a cheat originally introduced to compensate for a bug in the sculpt standard and later abused by some mesh makers to artificially reduce land impact. It does the job it is intended to but at a huge rendering cost. Serious sculpt makers have developed better fixes for the bug and serious mesh makers never use that cheat so unless your place is full of flawed items, you can safely reduce it to 1.

4) Textures
Always one of the biggest lag factors and even more today with all the furniture and other small items covered with high resolution custom textures (gacha items seem to be particularly problematic here btw). Hard to find a good solution here. You can't do anything about what other people place in your vicinity of course and it's hard to control your own items too, most makers don't give any information about their items' render weights and a single item hardly ever causes issues on its own - it's the sum of everything in the scene that can overwhelm a graphics card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.