How to create physical joints?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know second life doesn't really have any sort of joint system (which is a shame!) but I was wondering how possible it was to create joints out of existing things.  I'm mainly looking for an axis-type joint for a kinetic sculpture type thing I'm working on.  Someone has suggested putting a sphere in a bigger hollowed sphere and I've tried that and it works, but theres a bit of friction (even when choosing something like glass as the material) and that seems to be more of a ball-joint type thing.  I've tried using a similar technique with other prims, but I've had no luck :( Does anyone here have any ideas?  Thanks!

Avoid making the object physical unless you really have to. It will add load on the sim's physics engine, and may be harder to manage than if you made it non-physical. If the object really has to be physical, I'd suggest not linking the parts to each other.  Then, script the rotating part with llSetStatus(STATUS_ROTATE_X | STATUS_ROTATE_Y,FALSE) to make it rotate only around its Z-axis.  Align its Z-axis with the hole in a torus (or anything with a hole), and be sure that your script is written to keep it aligned with that local axis if you turn the object. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.