New NVIDIA Graphics cards out soon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anyone thinking of buying a new graphics card should maybe wait a while since Nvidia are going to release some new cards, the GTX 1070 and 1080 they look impressive on paper.

GTX 1080 will cost $599 and launch May 27, with GTX 1070 following June 10 for $379.

Will wait for benchmarks and amds polaris before i get hyped on these cards. The gtx 970 had a glaring issue with the ram so we need to see if the 1070 has something similar. Also custom cards haven't been released or any overclocked versions. Also one thing I've learned is that top end cards still run sl like crap. No one who games gets the performance they expext because sl isn't optimized and all that jazz.

Yeh I understand, I used to have a GTX 660, I updated to a 970 and it is 'faster' in sl a bit its def better with more avs in sight etc.

The main thing i was thinking about was the price of second hand cards will drop and some times its better to sell your old card sooner than later a gtx 970 sells on ebay for about £170-£200 at the moment that's half the price approx of what a 1070 will be, in 6 months i can see them selling for about the £100 mark.

So I am not sure at the moment, the 1070 may not be that much better than what I have now because of the way SL works and does not use the feature set that modern graphics cards have built in.

I would have to sell my current card very soon and go back to my laptop for a month or two before getting a new card^^

As I recall the change, most of the difference between the 650 and the 750 showed as reduced power consumption, and I can see some of that being down to the memory used. As we have gone from DDR2 through DDR3 to DDR4, the operating voltage of the RAM has dropped. But DDR4 also got a big jump in possible clock speeds. What I know of SL suggests to me that the memory bandwidth can matter a lot.

It's out of my budget, but one of the side effects is that older cards will be getting cheaper, and a 9xx card will cost less soon.

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.