My friend's Skype was turned on without her knowing, while playing SL on SL Viewer a few days ago.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posting this as I was there when it happaned and it was quite frightening. It took a while for us to figure out how this person chatting to us in SL knew previous skype conversations, and knew the sounds that where happaning in our home at that moment. We had the camera turned so whomever it was didn't see us. We are posting this so people know, it is possible and suggest extra security, everyone knows there are programs to hack whatever, but when you are the one getting harassed it is a very nad expeirence me and my friend both are never going on SL ever again. Best thing to do if you think you are hacked or suspect it is to turn off your modem, delete second life delete skype- reset your passwords on another computer. Keep modem turned off while you do this.

Is user error and nothing to do with SL.

Skype protocol intentionally designed to allow "click to call" links on websites. Example here: MSDN - Skype URI Tutorial.

Your friend almost certainly clicked a link like this presented in chat (or on a website), which began the call. In this way, a user in SL can encourage Skype to react (SL can't do this automatically). I don't use Skype - for much more obvious reasons than this - so can't test directly.

If you don't like this behaviour disassociate the skype: protocol, uninstall or reconfigure Skype.

[Further: File Association Tutorial for Windows 10]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.