First time importing problems, my model is deformed

XechaMonster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm trying to upload a model as an avatar for the first time, and I'm having some problems. 

First off, when I upload the default Second Life skeleton into Maya, can I change the position of the bones? If not, do I really have to go and change my model to better fit the skeleton?

Secondly, if I CAN change the position of the bones, then why am I having an issue? Here's a screenshot of what's happening: http://puu.sh/mvWW9/0af1325305.png

and here's a shot of the model inside of Maya, along with the names of the joints. As you can see, I haven't changed any of the names, because I know that's important. http://puu.sh/mvX4u/d519bd18a7.png

As you can see, my model is very deformed. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and I'm not entirely sure where to look to find a solution other than just asking people here.

I'm not sure if it is the only time when that error message pops up, but the only times I encounter the issue is when one of the lower LoD models has a different amount of materials than the highest LoD. I'd search for the problem in that area. Is it possible that you have used either several textures/UV's/materials or that you have a very high poly mesh?

You can use bone translations in your model, you need to check the "include skin weight" and "include joint positions" boxes. Since you didn't check those, the avatar you built conforms to the standard skeleton. If you can't, something is wrong with your skeleton. Since your skeleton looks only slightly modified, you could use the standard one and make a shape in SL to offset/scale the bones. That will take some trial and error of course.

Small sidenote... Gaia Clary (the Blender "Guru" over here) noticed issues with a combination of rigging to the collision bones and including joint positions. This looked Blender related though and by now they might have fixed it.

It also looks like you have a weighting problem in the right foot, or a weird bone transformation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.