Sculptris and Sculptris textures

MishkaKatyusha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

anywho.being a graphic artist/3d mesh designer,i quite commonly use sculptris's great graphical quality and effects (along with screen capture) to aid in making the art peices.

but ive been wondering something.sculptris has a fair whack of options for exporting the texture maps,bump maps,normals and so on.

can any of these texture items be uploaded into SL and applied to a model?

i also ask this because i have alot of textures that i custom designed for sculptris using my wacom tablet.which is awesome for me as it looks great and i dont have to worrie much about usage rights.(seeing as i made the textures)

for examples sake ill toss onto here afew of my really old sculptris screengrabs from earlier work

A png or tga file you upload to SL can have four channels: R,G,B and A (red, blue, green and alpha).

A normal map or diffuse texture needs R,G and B to produce a colour. Specular maps or alpha masks for example only need one channel. To keep the memory/texture usage to a minimum, LL decided to combine some characteristics into shared maps. So if you have an alpha mask map (black and white), you paste one of the R,G or B channels of it into the alpha channel of your diffuse map. If you have a specular map (black and white), you paste one of its channels into the alpha channel of the normal map.

This way we only need three maps to cater six characteristics. (Or eight really, since the alpha channel of the diffuse map can be used in three ways; alpha mask, opacity and emissive.)

How to paste a channel into another map depends on the software you use.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.