SL with an HTTP proxy

Alicendre Boissel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I am trying to connect to SL on my uni's network, which uses an HTTP proxy with authentication, as well as a VPN. I can't use the proxy settings on the viewer because of the authentication.

I have tried using Proxifier, but I get stuck at "waiting for region handshake". I am able to log in when I am not on that network so I know my firewall isn't to blame.

Is there anything I can try?

Hello Alicendre, The SL viewer needs to open not only TCP sockets but also UDP ones. I think this is your problem because you can authenticate to SL servers (they use HTTP over TCP for this) but can't establish communications with the region (you need both UDP and TCP for this). I have just read the features of Proxifier and, although they say it supports TCP, they say nothing about UDP. For UDP (if you you have to connect through a proxy) you need a reachable SOCKS proxy server version 5 (version 4 won't do) and fill in the appropriate section in the viewer preferences (Setup tab -> Adjust proxy settings). Please tell us how did it go,

• 11 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.