Need General Avatar Help! I'm super new

impyog

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello !

i'm super, super new to sl, i literally just joined yesterday after watching this video and not just thinking it was hilarious but also i had no idea you could do so much in second life, and i thought that was really interesting!

so i have a few questions about customization and also i would love, love, love any newbie tutorials, tips, etc. i've found a few things but they all move sort of fast for me, like they're meant more for people who have already used sl some.

my questions are

• how do i make a custom skin for my avatar? is that the right word even? i'm using the UTILIZATOR kemono body and it comes with resources to make your own skin, but i'm not entirely sure how to use them? i tried looking at skin tutorials on youtube but they all seem to be people slapping different textures onto human skin templates. is there a specific guide for the kemono avatar?
  • how do i upload the custom skin? it says in my kemono resource pack that i need three different files and gives the dimensions but i have no idea how to seperate/crop them from the psd, which has all of the parts and things together. i can give a screenshot of the files i have if that could help anyone give me some help, ha
  • is there a good way to navigate the in-game menus for customization? they seem a little haphazard for me. i mean, i'm navigating them and getting where i need to, but it's all a little complicated. idk, maybe it's just something i have to get used to?

also, unrelated to avatar customization, but is there anywhere i can sell art? i mean find people to commission me, not just sell things i've drawn already. someone said to join some furry groups or hang out in furry clubs (i'm primarily a furry artist), but that seems a little awkward for me, since i'm only used to forums and art websites and what not. any advice beyond that would be great!

i'm sorry if i sound like a total dummy, but i'm willing to wince through the learning stages because second life seems really cool.

thanks for any and all help!

Before trying to do something like create a custom skin, I would suggest that you get a good understanding of the basics in SL, including building basics.  There are several places that offer free classes inworld on basic building, learning scripting, learning how to create clothes.  NCI is one place, and Caledon Oxbridge University.  There is also the Ivory Tower of Primitives, which has a self-paced inworld tutorial on building basics, and Builders Brewery.   Being able to use Photoshop or Gimp, or Blender, may be needed also, depending on how far you want to go and whether you want to create mesh items or not.  

Joining one or more of the furry groups is a good suggestion, especially when you're new.  After you learn more of the basics, members of those groups will be able to help you with kemono/furry related things. 

Getting used to the menus is something that will come with time - just keep exploring :)

Selling art and finding commissions is certainly possible, though it's something that you will probably need to work up to doing. There are a variety of options for selling - renting a store space,  having your own store on a piece of land you rent or own, selling in the marketplace, etc.  There is a forum area also, where you can post looking for commissions.  

SL is a huge place, and what can be done here is just about endless.  Explore, try things out, enjoy yourself!

impyog wrote:

• how do i upload the custom skin?
    it says in my kemono resource pack that i need three different files and gives the dimensions but i have no idea how to seperate/crop them from the psd, which has all of the parts and things together. i can give a screenshot of the files i have if that could help anyone give me some help, ha
  • is there a good way to navigate the in-game menus for customization?
    they seem a little haphazard for me. i mean, i'm navigating them and getting where i need to, but it's all a little complicated. idk, maybe it's just something i have to get used to?

Skins are uploaded as image files, usually .png, through the Build... Upload menu for L$10 per upload. I'd recommend the Creation Forum for more detailed help on skin creation, and some Photoshop/GIMP tutorials if you aren't familiar with working with layers. I'd back up Chantilly's advice to get familiar with the basics first, too.

You can't change the main menu but you can rearrange the toolbar buttons. You can either drag buttons from one bar to the other, from place to place within either bar, or remove them. If you right-click either bar and select 'Toolbar buttons' you can get a palette of available buttons and further options. Also, you can change the navigation bar just under the menu.

I prefer only a single toolbar across the bottom of the screen and remove all the social media nonsense, for example.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.