The best SL viewer to use for a laggy/old computer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I am new to SL and am wondering what the best SL viewer is to use for an older computer? My PC is around a 2009 or so and it could run SL fine but it started to lag even when clearing out cache. I did a test earlier, so yeah. :)

Is there a good viewer out there for older comps, or am I just SOL?

Thanks!

How much memory has it got?

If less than 2GB and you're happy with it when you first log in, then that sounds highly likely that it's memory swapping.  To counter this try the following:-

• Run NOTHING else at the same time
  • Uninstall all those little things that sit in the background in the system tray
  • Add more memory
  • Tweak the viewer.  If your viewer has it, set the MaxHeapSize This should set the maximum RAM that the viewer can use and the default is 1.6GB.  Firestorm viewer has this option, the LL viewer doesn't appear to have it.  You'll find this in debug settings.

maxheap.png

Depending on how much RAM you have, you can try this for other amounts, the issue being that if you have insufficient free RAM and the viewer tries to use more and more, the longer you're logged in, the more textures that are cached, the more the PC will then start to swap out to disk.  This is all assuming though that your PC graphics are such that you're ok with that on a 2009 PC but you said it could run it fine but then started to lag.

More details about the hardware would help.

Ohjiro Watanabe wrote:

I would recommend Alchemy.

Not sure what you are expecting to happen when you you clear you cache but it will just slow you down. When you clear it it has to fill up again.

It appears Alchemy works better than SL viewer and Phoenix but I didn't know about the option to lower the other stuff til now. xD

Well, thanks for your help everyone!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.