"Tribute" Bands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

U2inSL is the original SL tribute band that started it for all the others way back in 2005. For seven years now they have been performing concerts approximately every two months in SL to raise awareness for the causes the real U2 represents such as the One Campaign, African Well Fund, Music Risingand others, as well as for the fun and enjoyment of the Second Life community. Many people from all around the world are involved in the concert production which takes weeks to get off the ground. They seek to replicate the real U2's concerts in their entirety. NO TIPS or MONEY of any kind are ever made at these concerts. All sets, costumes, props, avatars are custom designed for the events and take months to recreate as close as possible to the real thing. 

Currently U2inSL is bringing back U2's POPMART TOUR from the 1997-1998 era. Two concerts this past weekend were held with full sim attendance. You can see a YouTube video of one of the tracks from the Saturday concert here courtesy of Gabriel Heller, U2inSL videographer:

I encourage you to attend a next concert as U2inSL is nothing like any other tribute band existing in Second Life today! 

• 7 months later...

Bringing a tribute to any artists is quite a task. As with everything in SL, it's all fake, but everybody strive to (re)create the real thing as much as they can.

Trying to get the audience beyond a point of being entertained, is a real chalenge for the Sisters Of Joy.

The copyright issues are a PITA and can spoil the whole game experience when used too strict.

Here's a impression of such an event.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I work for a "tribute band" in SL. For all of you who have never done so be aware that you use your own lindens to make the avatar look exactly like the original real life band member you are portraying. Some of these can run in the amount from 200 lindens to up to 1500L. Plus you have to buy the instruments which start at around 400L up to over 1500L. Then you also need to purchase the huds to make these instruments work with cost 3000L or more. You have to learn these huds and also watch videos if  you chose of the original bands to make sure  your avatar is moving like the real life artist does. Also you have to present chat in local as well to the crowd who comes to see you. I can assure you its not just someone playing a stream and people standing up there pretending. It is a sl job that I am proud to say I love doing. The pay we get is not the point we do alot of Relay for Life charity. Alot of disabled people in Second Life cannot get out in RL to go see the real life bands. And as for U2 well they exist in Tribute bands in SL. I know I did Bono. For the girl who dogged this don't knock it till you try it. Otherwise don't come we do it for the love of music. Being a rl musician in my rl its awesome to perform in SL as well for others who cannot get out to see the real thing and somethings watching youtube just is not enough.

Very well said I should know I am in one and no one should knock it till they have truly been in a tribute band in sl. Oh and one note I also am a rl female musician. I love bringing any music in any form to those who cannot get out to see a rl show because of disabilities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.