Computer forgot how to run second life viewer 2?

Facemelt Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been running Second Life viewer 2 on an iMac 2.66 Ghz Intel with 4GB Ram and an ATI Radeon 4850 which is in full compliance with second life's recommended specifications.

It has been running fine up until last night, when I run Viewer 2, it alerts me that my system doesn't meet minimum specifications, and sl runs like poop. It won't load anything. It even takes time to load the preferences pane before even logging in, so it feels as though it's running on a very old machine, but all other software is running fine, even programs that require a lot more from my system. 

I've just downloaded it in WIndows 7 on Parallels, and it's running a little better, but still slower than usual. 

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Has your system suddenly forgotten how to run Second Life Viewer 2? If so, did you find a way to remedy it?

• 1 month later...

There are so many problems with 2.x that i decided to revert back to 1.23.5 today after using 2.4 and upgraded to 2.6 since Dec.

AA isn't working properly, there are problems with web based profiles, anisotrpoic filtering on/off is borked, a lot of stutter and decreased performance. Me too had a sudden experience that my card wasn't recognized at some point, however it had no impact. 2.x Still was crappy as it ever was. When i use 2.4 the experience is slow and stuttery. In 2.6 AA isn't working and constant problems with profile updating. And there are so many more painful show stopping bugs.

I am back in 1.23.5 and it run so smooth, even sim crossings are like silk.

my fps went up from 12 - 50 to a very steady 35 - 50 with exactly the same settings.

Features are missed in 1.x i know, but the movement experience is so much silkier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.