New to AMD - What is wrong with my skin!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all!  Thanks for looking at my post.  Lets start off by saying my loved nvidia graphics card died thanks to my cat so I had to get a new one.  I'm now new to the AMD Catalyst family.  I have Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with PCI-Express Graphics Card Boost 11230-00-20G (if that means anything.. I'm sadly not a techie).

Here is my issue - I have the maitreya mesh body and my skin looks like this. http://prntscr.com/6l42bs and my settings are on this http://prntscr.com/6l42f2.

Is there something I'm missing?  I am unable to click Advanced Lighting Model and Ambient Occlusion.  Please help a new AMD Noob and thank you so much in advance for taking the time to do so.  

Thanks!

There are know issues with the latest catalyst drivers. The Firestorm team suggests to use Catalyst 14.4.

Catalyst 14.4 is believed to be a good driver version to use; it seems to fix all (or most) of the problems described on this page. So we recommend trying to use that version of the driver driver, if possible - which may imply rolling back your current one to that version.

Rather than relying on the built-in driver update function, visit the AMD site directly and update from there; click here to locate the drivers for your system. Do not use the autodetect feature; instead, scroll down to “Manually Select Your Driver” and supply the required information. Then once the results are displayed, click on Previous Drivers and Software and locate 14.4.

If 14.4 is a downgrade for you, please make very sure that you remove whatever driver you currently have installed before installing 14.4

This applies to the official SL viewer too.

Read more in details here:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/ati

It is quite a bit techie, but worth the pain if that can fix your issues. :)

THIS week's driver release from AMD addressed sl problems, I understood.

***AMD's "addressing problems" may mean just closing fault reports that can't be fixed, and saying that such things contribute to a shared experience, like LL does***

I am unable to click Advanced Lighting Model and Ambient Occlusion.  Please help a new AMD Noob and thank you so much in advance for taking the time to do so.  

Thanks!

I can't see the screenshot of your graphics settings (link doesn't work) but your image of the mesh body looks like you have Hardware Skinning disabled in graphics preferences in the viewer. Most (all?) of those mesh bodies will look all blotchy like that and have bad shading without hardware skinning enabled.

Your card should be quite capable of enabling ALM and ambient occlusion and if you are unable to tick those I suspect maybe you cannot enable hardware skinning either.

Which viewer are you using? If you are using a viewer which does not have the benchmarking changes it's possible your card hasnt been added to the viewers gpu table (it's fairly new...)  so it is unrecognised and you wont be able to enable some of the shader settings.

If the advice given already doesn't help you, in the top menu bar of the viewer, go to help -> About Second Life/Viewer name and copy all your system information and paste it into a comment here.

Can you also say whether you are able to tick hardware skinning or whether that option is greyed out for you.

If you can tick hardware skinning but when you do, the mesh body is invisible, then thats also fixable with the new AMD 15.3 driver, but lets see how you get on first with the help already given.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.