what kind of programming skills needed for a scoring system?

Gawain Galtier

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,

I'm hoping anyone would be so kind to help with some info.  I'm seeking to develop a scoring system where when an attatchment goes through a function (win, lose, or acquire scenario), the attachment sends the appropriate message to a website and logs a score for the user wearing the attachment.

I understand this is a huge project to undertake and may need to employ someone advanced.  But what programing  skills, outside of lsl, are required for this type of project?  php?  c++?

Any info would be most appreciated,

Gawain 

From what you describe, the developper would have to have some good knowledge of LSL (I assume here that the game as such is already developed) with experiene in http communucations, php (or a similar scripting language which may also depend on the server you are using or running - php is most likely to be found there), some HTML (and most likely JavaScript) knowledge - the imortance of which depends on how elaborate your website is going to be, and finally SQL (the deatils again depend on the DB server you are going to use).

You really don't describe what it needs to do, so it's kinda hard to judge....  for instance if the web stream is just for reporting someone's most recent score, oAuth and a twitter account could do the trick..... assuming you actually NEED the web interface... if not, anyone experienced in LSL.

If you need a web interface that's more than just recent  happenings, like leader boards, culmulative scoring, web editing, etc, then they also need PHP, and SQL knowledge (anyone that knows those knows their way around html, ecma, and probably css, as well as apache), but they'll nedd to know what your service supports, or be able to reccomend one. for your purposes, any cgi language will do as long as it's installed or installable on the service, if you already have one, or if your service only has a specific language available, make sure you specify that.

--||-

Welp, the php and mysql I have no knowledge of, as with this needing a cumulative scoring system/interface.  I will need to employ someone it seems.

Would anyone be able to recommend a reputable place to find such a talented programer available for this?  I understand this project would be a big one, and most reputable scripters in world seem way to be too busy for employ.

Thank you all for the previous replies and resolve! Kudos all around

Let's hope that one day the web will grow up.  I think it's ridiculous that anything but the most basic functionality needs knowledge of HTML (obviously!), CSS (formatting), Javascript (client-side programming) and PHP/Perl/etc. (server-side programming) and SQL/etc. (databases), all with their own commands and syntax.  Then, for a lot of people, there's DTDs, XML, XSL, XSLT, etc.  It all seems a little confused to me.

Plus, of course, we need to know LSL, but that's probably because it would be too easy otherwise ^^

(/me is currently working on a project using LSL, HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and SQL.  It's going well ... but slowly!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.