give first owner more rights than second

Maya Spore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm going to sell this item that will be no trans/copy/no mod. The first owner will have rights to modify it through a menu and personalize things, then resell it again or give it away (hence the copy/trans rights). The next owners won't have this possibility. So I need to differ between first owner and the others.

I scripted my way through this, put the first owner in a var and test the current owner against it (and I made it reset proof).

But... if the first owner doesn't rez the item, the script won't run and  he won't be registered as the first owner and can resell it exactly like the original item, making the next owners the registered first owners. That is something I want to prevent.

Does anyone know a way I could do this right? In other words, I need a way to be 100% sure the person using it is the first owner (not counting myself of course)

Thanks in advance,
Maya

there is only one way that I know of to reliably force script execution on first owner (after creator).... that is to have the item sold as "buy original" while it's inworld.

a simple way to achieve this is to set up a touch rezzor, that rezzes your item to be sold, which should probably be set to temp_on_rez, or scripted to die if not bought. when it's recieves the changed event with changed owner it can stop being temp_on_rez or the countdown till death can be halted.... and the first owner registered.

as I understand it, you could do:

1. Add a no-trans/yes-copy script into the object. This makes the whole object no-trans. And since the scipt is yes-copy, it's can't be removed from the object other than by a scripted call. That's why next...

2. Add a scripted function that removes this no-trans script.

As result, your first owner get a no-trans object (because of the no-trans dummy-script). Means, the object must be rezzed by the first owner to remove this no-trans script.

After the script has been removed, the whole object becomes yes-trans again.

(( test this trick with an alt before going in production. If everything done as I said (adding a yes-copy/no-trans script + script call to remove it), I should work. No guarantee, though.))

Authorised resellers:

Create a database of resellers.  Give them a copy/no-trans script.  If you're taking a cut of their sales sell them copies of a trans/no-copy script that says "I am a customer", otherwise just give it to them copy+trans

When rezzed the "I am a customer" script gets an update (with the real, working, script either copy or trans, as you prefer).

That way you keep an eye on the resellers and end-uses

Marielle Caerndow wrote:

as I understand it, you could do:

1. Add a no-trans/yes-copy script into the object. This makes the whole object no-trans.

I like this solution a lot, it was simple yet logic. But my object remained transferable nonetheless this non trans script was inside.

well it gets weirder now, now it is no trans (it is an attachment and I rezzed it on the ground once and  applied the perms on the script)) but after the script has been removed, it remains no trans. I guess the rights has been set and only the NEXT owners right are adapted.

Maya, I just tested it with a friend. Here it worked.

Ava1: created box (yes-copy/no-mod/yes-trans). Add 1 control-script ( yes-copy/no-mod/yes-trans). The whole object is now still yes-copy/no-mod/yes-trans. Now adding a second 'dummy-script' with yes-copy/no-mod/no-trans)....the whole object gets no-trans as expected. The control-scipt was scripted to remove the dummy-script when touched. Now sent the object to a Ava2.

Ava2 : Rezzes the object, it's still yes-copy/no-mod/no-trans. Ava2 touched it and the control-script removed the no-trans-dummy-script. Result: as expected, the whole object becomes yes-trans.

To mention again, Ava2 removed the tranfer-block-script when the object was rezzed in-world (not attached) ...maybe this is the difference.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.