Java Script Errors in the Forums

Hassa Softpaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello.

In the last few weeks, I've had severe problems with being able to do things on sl.com and the forums due to "Errors on the Page."  Here's just a small example:

Line: 107
Char: 21
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
Code: 0
URL: http://blogs.secondlife.com/message/message#

Line: 180
Char: 9
Error: 'Zapatec' is undefined

Line: 3221
Char: 24
Error: Object expected

Constantly get:  Done but with errors on the page (in the bottom left corner of every page on for Second Life), but other sites on the web work fine.

Pages never load the "Similar Content" area.

I can't start a new post, and no links at the top work, including: New, Your Stuff, History, Browse
These links work however:  Ewer Short, Log Out, Search

When I try to load my own profile:

Line: 2432
Char: 24
Error: Object Expected
URL: http://blogs.secondlife.com/people/Ewer.Short

I can't start a new discussion, and I can't access the report abuse feature on blog posts.

The list of errors is much longer, but you get the idea.  I reluctantly decided to try a different browser.  And guess what?  Everything works, with no errors.  I'm not too fussy about using another browser, as I like and prefer Internet Explorer.  I have all my windows updates, am using Vista Home Premium with the latest service pack, and no beta on IE, just the most recent current version.  JVM is current and working fine.  I'm at a loss to explain this.  If not for installing this "other browser," I wouldn't even be able to post this question!

Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

12 answers to this question

Hi.

I've already done the Java thing.. with no success.  And, this new browser works perfectly with no errors, and reports the Java Virtual Machine and required plug in is all up to date.  It appears to 'me' that it might be some weird glitch in Internet Explorer.  I may end up stopping my addiction to IE if this keeps up, lol.... This new browser is ... well, kinda sleek and has no errors so far

Thankyou for your reply!!!!

The name "Javascript" is very misleading. It is not really Java at all, the name was a silly marketing stunt from the 1990s. The name ECMAscript is sometimes used now but old habits die hard. It is built in on the browser and not a plugin, and errors are not helped by downloading new Java versions.

What version of IE do you use? Some people have reported trouble between IE7 and this site, others do not appear to have issues on the same version.

Hi

It's version 7. I just realized there is a version 8, but I'm not going to install it yet.  I'd rather continue to test this other browser (which is firefox btw), for a little while to see if I'm going to like it .

Do you think maybe something went wrong in my IE or windows perhaps?  I haven't done much differently, it just simply stopped working.

Um ya   But... on the plus side... Firefox let me install some cool scripts to control the spam.. and with no errors like in IE, I'm seriously considering staying with this little gem.

I'll mark this as answered, if you'll post a reply that says:  Try Firefox!

I use FireFox.

For three long years I put up with IE's crashes and other problems (including JAVA script errors) because my IP would not allow other browsers. As soon as they changed their requirements I went to FireFox and have been very happy with it ever since. I have had a few problems with FireFox but all of them were fixed by the FireFox people in a short period of time.  I also use Window 7 an am very happy with it, so sometimes M$ gets it right but when they get it wrong they really get it wrong and seem incapable of fixing it.

Go FireFox!

LOL

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter ............... I am not affiliated with Microsoft or FireFox (Mozilla) in any way. I have use both software programs mentioned and have suggested FireFox as a solution to a scripting error problem. Apparently the suggestion worked.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.