Trying to understand IP Infringement

Locke Stormcrow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This may not be the right place to put this question, but oh well.

I have recieved an email from LL saying that I possessed an animation that was reported as IP infringement. I understand that all copies of this animation would be removed from the grid. Unfortunately, I paid for my copy from the mainstore of this merchant. A rather well-known mo-cap animation merchant, I might add.

Now my question is: Does this mean that the merchant stole this animation and sold it as thier own creation, or does this mean that their creation was stolen and given out as copies?

Either way, I am screwed out of my L$, I know. I buy my AO anims individually and put them into my AO. My concern now is that half the stands in my AO came from this merchant. My avi is going to be left with just those goofy spinning anims...

6 answers to this question

It means that someone is claiming the animation violates their intellectual property and LL found enough merit to the claim to warrant removal. If the merchant you bought it from wishes to fight the claim then LL will reinstate the objects and the two can fight it out the old fashioned way... with layers at 50 paces. LL won't tell the rest of us the actual details of what supposedly happened.

• Like 1

But what I am trying to understand is this: is the merchant the victim in the crime, or are they the criminal? I realize that LL will not tell me the details, but I am concerned about receiving more notices from them. I have SEVERAL anims from this merchant, all of which I bought (which doesnt seem to matter).

Baeric.Constantine wrote:

To understand whether the seller is the victim or not can only be answered by that store owner. As for the rest of the items, I would not concern yourself until you receive a similar notification, but that is just me.

Okay, I'll just let it go for now...thanks y'all for helping out!

If they stole them and the rightful creator filed the DMCA then they are a criminal. If they didn't steal anything and the person filed a semi-bogus claim out of spite then they are the victim. If they bough the bvh files from someone else who stole them then maybe they are somewhere in between. That's what I'm trying to explain. All it means is that someone filed a DMCA that resulted in a takedown of the disputed content. No more. No less. It doesn't prove or disprove any guilt or innocence and the facts can be any number of scenarios and we can't draw any specific conclusions from any it.

It's like if you see your neighbor leaving with the police and asking if that means they killed their Great Aunt Sally. I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.