isp logs

Maddi Rinq

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was wondering how second life feels about isp logs and shop owners useing them.

Recently came across a situation where a person knew of a few of my alts that they wouldn't otherwise had known about. It came out in conversation that they knew this information from a ISP log. The information that they gathered was then used and projected almost in a form of bulling. I have looked at the terms of service and the privacy that secondlife has and i feel there is a very thin line as to weather or not you permit this sort of action. How stand on these sort of actions would be greatly apprecatied.

5 answers to this question

Linden Lab are aware of how Shared Media can reveal information on alts as you describe to private region owners and even to Club owners providing music streams. If concerned, the advice is to disable Allow media to auto-play in Preferences > Sound and Media and don't play music or click media when in sims you don't trust. If that is done, they cannot get ISP info to cross reference with other avatars.

Some now infamous security systems were set up this way to try and ban alts of known copybotters.

If you feel any information about you and your alts has been misused you can submit an AR.

LL advice:

Steps That You Can Take
There are a few easy things that you can do right now to help protect your privacy.

• To turn Shared Media auto-play off, just go to Me > Preferences  > Sound & Media > Allow Media Auto-Play. Just uncheck that box and click "OK" to save the change. This simple action protects against information sharing with third-party websites.
  • You can also turn off the media attached to other avatars, which prevents attachment media from playing.
  • You can assess the URL of a website on a Shared Media object by using the inspector or the Nearby Media Panel.
  • Clear all cookies and other data by going to Me > Preferences > Privacy > Clear all user data.
  • And, please be as vigilant about data security inworld just as you are on the Internet. Do not share sensitive information inworld.

Nyll

i do feel the information was misused but just to clarify by them gathering this information does it mean they can get more personal information if none of the steps below were taken.

i gather that you are not a representive of LL,  i'm interested in knowing where you go this information. You stated they are aware of shared media but to they understand that personal information being shared as well.

Also If i'm understanding this correctly LL does not allow copybotting. does that include other bots as well.

Maddi Rinq wrote:

i do feel the information was misused but just to clarify by them gathering this information does it mean they can get more personal information if none of the steps below were taken.

i gather that you are not a representive of LL,  i'm interested in knowing where you go this information. You stated they are aware of shared media but to they understand that personal information being shared as well.

Also If i'm understanding this correctly LL does not allow copybotting. does that include other bots as well.

Yes, I'm just a resident like you. The only information anyone could obtain via Shared Media is your ISP and who possibly your alts are if he or she puts some work into it. Knowing your ISP is not going to give anyone your home address and this has been discussed over and over again on these blogs and other forums such as SLUniverse. Every internet site you log into will know your ISP.

If someone is using any information obtained by Shared Media to breach the TOS (Community Standards) http://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php then you should submit an Abuse Report.

Personally, I have media disabled on my alt.

Some bots are good such as those used to gather information on what sims are on what servers http://secondlife.mitsi.com/sims/What%20sim%20am%20I%20on.htm

The former Emerald devs devised the Onyx bots, who's purpose I'm not sure was ever fully explained but were viewed very suspiciously. http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general-sl-discussion/43530-onyx-bots-everywhere.html

Before camping was clamped down on, people used bots to camp and collect money from sim owners while boosting traffic.

Linden Lab has its own bots for collecting sim data.

Copybot was a program used to illegally copy inworld content. You can read about it here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bot

Nyll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.