finding a scripted object causing lag on mainland

Cinder Roxley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hello all, the region my home is in has been experiencing a lot of lag lately with movement, physics, and even open chat. i know this is gridwide right now, but it seems to be worse at home. i have a feeling after looking around, that i know what might be causing it (there's a map that shows where everyone in the region is at and moved a small animated prim with every move anyone makes), but i'm not sure, and i wouldn't want to ar it if it's not the cause! is there anyway to find this out? it's a mainland region, and it's not on my parcel, but it's frustrating when any move i make walks me through a wall and any manipulation of a prim rubberbands all over the place.

or should i just file a support ticket and pray someone takes a look someday?

thanks in advance.

(ps. bring on the scripting limits sl! it's about time!)

4 answers to this question

Determine what sort of lag you are experiencing. Use the Statistic window to find out if it's the server or the client. Could be your internet connection is haveing some sort of fail.

The same window will tell you if it's physical stuff that is causing lag, if it's scripts or if it's texture loading. Or just a busy sim with close to 40 avatars walking around.

The script memory you can see under land options is not a suree way to found out what parcel is having laggy scripts. Plenty of memory eating scripts that don't cause lag. Plenty of micro scripts that can bring a sim down.

Use the beacons to pinpoint scripted objects.

• Like 1

Cinder Roxley wrote:

It says server framerate has dropped below 20 almost constantly.

That is much to low. Start a support ticket. It's almost impossible for you to find the cause specially since it can be caused by others in your sim. Having a set of laggy scrips is not AR-able unless it's on purpose. Often the owner of the laggy scripts doesnt know that it's causing lag of the sim. Another possible cause for a low framerate can be physical objects, also here the owner often does not know. LL can identify tha cause, perhaps contact the owner or you can offer to contact the owner if you know who to contact.

Ok, so not AR'able unless it's malicious server load. Glad I asked. I'll start a support ticket, even though 4 out of 5 times they say they can't help because I use Kirsten's s20. (but ontyre staff is another issue all together!) Thanks a bunch for the help. Scripting limits can't come soon enough!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.