a land question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I would appreciate any advice that can be offered.  I tried surfing around for the information, but fell a little short. 

I want to purchase a parcel of land (wonders if size has any relevance to answer.) on mainland.  I would set up a group for the land and allow access to people (who may not be able to afford a quiet sandbox) to use for creating (sandbox.)  Is it possible to 'rope-off' the area so creators will not be bothered by people who are griefing?    I understand ban lines and security orbs, etc.  If the land is 1024sqm, can someone stand on the perimeter and grief?  Are there any solutions to absolutely restrict griefers from interfering.

I feel like I should know the answer, but I am not quite sure.

8 answers to this question

One thing you really have to consider when creating a sandbox is available prim. A 1024 m2 parcel only has 234 prim available which greatly limits the type and scale of things that can be created there, and how many people can use the spot.

For an "on the ground" type of sandbox, I would personally consider 4096 m2 the minimum size.

There are several ways to help stop griefing.

First off the easiest is to limit access and permissions to group members. While this does present its own issues by requiring that anyone using it belong to a group, you can restrict entry, the ability to rez, the ability to move prims onto the parcel and the ablility to run scripts so that griefing is much harder to do.

Using a skybox type of solution, a platform for example, placed up high, also helps because it helps keep the curious from seeing it as a target. However, above the ban lines anyone can cross the parcel, so if permissions are not restricted, it allows someone to grief from above using objects.

If I were doing this, I would use all the tools. I would create a large platform up at 3000m, I would make the access group only, I would restrict all permissions to that group (rez, object entry and scripts) and I would get the largest parcel of land I could afford. I would also most likely charge a small monthly fee to belong to the group, or a fee to use the parcel, to help offset the costs.

Hope this helps

DR, thanks for your reply.  I kind of knew all this already.  I was looking for a smaller parcel to accommodate maybe one or two builders at a time.  But, maybe you are right - I should look at something larger. 

I think you and Faubio are right to build it in the sky. 

I didn't expect to offset my costs or charge anything as I think there may be many people who do not have any L's but would like to build in a little more privacy.  

If you don't mind, and while I have your ear, how would you approach 'advertising' such a sandbox?   

You are probably not going to like my answer, but here goes; I would never do such a thing for the public, so have no idea how to suggest advertising it.

While I appreciate your altruisum, I really don't see a point in what you are trying to do. If you were doing this for some friends, it might make sense, but to do for the general public, it simply doesn't.  There are many sandboxes spread across SL that fill this need and I have friends that have never created things anyplace else. A little laggy from time to time yes, and griefers do sometimes show up, but there really is not any limit to prims you can use in a normal build and space is not an issue.

They simply rez a platform up around 3Km, sit on a box and go for it. In fact, I still use them from time to time, even though I own a sim. Why? Because they are a good place to rez HiPrim items or rez something that takes a large amount of space on various levels. Also good for rezzing coaleced items since I dont have to worry about cleaning it up if I miss one or two of the items, the sim will return them.

While griefing in a sandbox can be an issue, normally you can stop most of it by simply working up high and sitting on a box. Lag can also be a problem, but that might be an issue on a little mainland parcel too.

In the end, unless you thinking of providing this building area for a very specific reason, I think you are just wasting your time and tier.

• Like 1

DR, thank you for your candid opinion.  I will certainly consider your words.  I do want and like to contribute, and I am seeking ways to do just that.  Maybe I am approaching this wrong.  Again, I will consider your words before I do anything. You have been a tremendous help, thank you.

Myself I'd go skybox and nix the land option altogether. I've spent more then a few hours on all sorts of sandboxes and know there troubles. Going landside would be trouble for certain. How about creating the landing location landside then TP to the skybox. i know of a sandbox like this and use it but  it is a weapons testing sandbox so that might explain it. Hmmm, that reminds me if your a glutton for punishment and want to provide for a real need then there certainly is a shortage of weapons testing sandboxes on SL but they be loads of trouble. LOL I hope you have a few people to help you adm this place if you go through with it, you'll need them.

Don't forget to provide an assortment of textures givers and maybe a few newbie tutorials

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter .............. Oh, about the size, as a skybox sandbox as big as possible, as landside sandbox as big as possible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.