How Do I Make Mega Sized Mesh?

Moco Scribe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have seen and bought many mesh items which are way bigger than the maximum 64m. I've tried importing bigger sized mesh but with no luck and am at a loss as to how they are created and imported.

Can anyone help? I would like to make a sky box which is at least 100m in diameter and can't get any bigger than 64m....please help!

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/34325

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ven%20River%20Port/33/30/22

Ive just had to find out about this myself I made a sim sized mesh.  

What I done was spilt it into 16 parts to get it to upload.

There is no way to upload mesh larger than 64 meters so you will have to spilt it into parts so you can upload the mesh and upload each part.  

Then i would use the algin tools to match the parts up.

I have seen mega sized single meshes.

Are you sure they weren't sculpties? Sculptmaps can be applied to megaprims which will then retain their oversize dimensions as long as you don't try to resize them. (That doesn't mean I would recommend using them).

It was possible during the beta to make larger meshes, but I don't think it was ever possible on the main grid. If you really have seen such things, then I would imagine someone must have used an unsupported exploit to make them. The uploader in the official viewer will scale down any mesh larger than 64m until its maximum dimension is just less than 64m.

Do you recall where you saw them?

I was wondering how Turnip of Turnip's Skydones made his as he has ones up to 150m. Although these could be sculpts but the question still stands how are they made. Plus what about all the megasize mesh sim surrounds how are they made and uploaded or if they are imported small how are they made so big? I know that I may be missing something but any pointers would be appreciated.

I think you may be underestimating how much can be done with megaprims. They can be made into any of the basic prim types, including sculpties. Then they can be and edited/tortured in any way except changing their dimensions. This can make them more effective than mesh in making some lanscaping items, not least because of the size constraints applied to mesh.

Moco Scribe wrote:

I was wondering how Turnip of Turnip's Skydones made his as he has ones up to 150m. Although these could be sculpts but the question still stands how are they made. Plus what about all the megasize mesh sim surrounds how are they made and uploaded or if they are imported small how are they made so big? I know that I may be missing something but any pointers would be appreciated.

Don't know Turnip's Skydomes but I've got Thoseguys Footman's "Awesome Balls" - same thing only in sizes all the way up to 512 m. They are just regular hollow prims, no mesh or sculpts involved there.

Those wonderful (to anybody but your neighbours...) fullsim surround landscapes are sculpts. As Drongle said, you can take any sculpt map and add to any prim of any size, including the biggest megaprims.

To be honest I can't imagine meshes larger than 64 m would be useful in SL even if they could be made. The download weight of a mesh object depends a lot on its size and with dimensions like that you'd almost certainly save LI by splitting it up anyway. I'm working on and off on a full sim mesh landscape at the moment and I've found 52x52 m to be the most suitable module size. It's big enough I can safely use a very simplified mid res model and zero out the two low res ones, small enough I can link two together (or link all content on top to each ground sheet) and 25 such pieces fit a full sim perefectly with just the right amount of overlapping.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.