Problem saving scripts

Hassa Softpaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, since returning to SL, I have suddenly started having a problem... I can't save scripts!  I can click on "create" and "script" and get the default linden script, and I can also create one in an object.  But as soon as I try to alter the script and save it, I get a compile error.  It doesn't matter if it's a 3 line script or a 300 line script.  It don't matter if I choose MONO or LSL, it still don't work.  I can't even open an exsisting script and save it.  Same error.  I've tried clearing every type of cache, and still no luck.  I can upload to SL fine (pictures), and I can export out of SL.  I can also create and save notecards fine.  There have been no recent software changes, no upgrades to the new viewer (still using the 1.23.??), and no changes on my computer.  Can someone please help?

BTW:  I was fine until 2 days ago. It just started happening.

21 answers to this question

Addition:

Here is the error I'm getting:

Unable to upload
c:\users\<myname>\appdata\local\secondlife\<hexfile>.lsl due to the following reason:  Compile failed.  Please try again later.

NOTE:  I tried it on an alt, and I'm not having any problem there.  Any ideas?  Anyone?

It appears to be looking in your cache folder for some sort of temp file. However, I have looked in the folders and no matter what I do with a script, there is never a .lsl script in the cache folders. I also tried editing a script while monitoring the cache folder and did not see a file created. Wish I could be more helpful, but I do not understand why it is looking in the cache folder to start with. I have never seen this issue.

I saw  this exactly once a couple of days ago. I tried to save again immediately and it saved normally. I just figured it was a server glitch or something going on with viewer 2, which I was using at the time. In my case it was transitory so I forgot about it.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the viewer, even got the regular one, instead of the release candidate (which i've been using forever), and still no luck.  I even trashed the 'cache' folder and still no luck.  Thank you for your reply.

Here's something interesting too...I usually see this occasionally, too, but like you, usually just save again, and it's fine.  If it's an asset server problem, waiting for it to be resolved works.  But I can save normally on another account, so I'm wondering if maybe something has gone wrong with my account?  When I do save, and I get the error, I then get a rotating circle hour glass, and it won't go away unless I tp away from where I was.  It's almost like something is 'stuck' somehow.  No matter what sim I try to go to, I can't save any scripts.  This is very alarming.

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, for giggles, I checked Viewer 2.0... which, unrelated to this issue, I hafta say OMG YUCK, ... but anyway, I tried viewer 2.0 and still the same problem.  Exactly same error.

Please, if anyone has an idea, please reply.

There definately seems to be an issue with the way the viewers are saving to the cache folders.  Just for grins, try this, worst case it might give us some more info.

Go to c:\users\<yourname>\appdata\local\secondlife\ and create a sub folder called 123_cache and one called v2_cache. You will need to be able to see hidden and system folders to get there.

Then in SL Viewer under Preferences > Network point the viewer's cache storage to the matching folder. Then restart SL, either viewer and try saving a script.

Let us know if you get the same error and if the path to the file is different.

Bad news

I have done the following steps:

1.  created two folders:  123_cache, and V2_cache

2.  started the standard 123 viewer, changed the path to the 123_cache folder

3.  restarted the viewer, logged on, and tested a  default LL script in a rezzed object, and in inventory

4.  result:   same error

5.  started V2.0, changed path to the V2_cache folder

6.  restarted the viewer, logged on, and tested a default LL script in a rezzed object, and in inventory

7.  result:  same error

8.  logged into an alt account, tested saving script.  works fine on alt account, in both viewers.

I need to look into this a bit more before I can add anything. One other trick you might is to go into the path

c:\users\<yourname>\appdata\roaming\secondlife\

and delete the folder for the avatar having issues. The client will recreate the folder when it starts, but some preferences will get erased and have to be reset, like popups. Its the only suggestion I have now.

I did the following:

1.  Went to the secondlife folder, and deleted the folder called Ewer Short

2.  Manually cleaned the cache folder

3.  Restarted SL using the standard 123 viewer...

4.  Dropped a prim, created a new script, made a change and tried to save it.

5.  Result:  same error as before:  Unable to upload, c:\ <path><file.lsl> due to the following reason:  Compile failed.  Please try again later.

I'm very worried.

At this point, I can only suggest you open ticket on this. Clearly there is a problem with your account and its relationship to the asset servers in some way. I wish I could offer more help, but I since your alt can save a file, it is not an issue with the cache folder, which was confirmed when you changed them. It is not account info on your side since you deleted that folder as well. To me that leaves only something on LL's side. I could not find anything in the JIRA on this issue, but that doesn't surprise me, I have trouble finding stuff I put there. Pretty useless in my opinion. I sure hope they can help you solve the issue.

It would be nice if after you get a responce from LL you post back here so we can see what the issue was.

I'm not being sarcastic or funny, but have you tried removing all your huds and getting naked, then trying again? It's *only* this avatar, and it happens no matter what you try with cache - so, it must be something unique to this avatar, that is persistent apart from cache: clothing (prim), attachments, or HUDs.

I've found this is also sometime a region problem... if you haven't already, do the clear cache dance and when you relog, log to a different sim, wait for your surroundings to rez, then try.

it probably won't work, but since you've already tried wiping out everything on your end, the next step is to change things on LL end.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.