updated graphics card and still cant log in

SteviMay Chauveau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

Then the next best thing to do is give us some specs.  That's what we need for any clue to what is going on.  I can make a guess and that would be that your system (specifically you graphics card/adapter) does not meet the minimum requirements.  However, if there is something to go on there may be a work around or setting that may let you get SL running.  Without information we are just as stuck as you are.

CPU type and speed

Graphics manufacturer, onboard memory, is it discrete or IGP (intergrated).....and current driver version

System RAM

Operating system

Laptop or Desktop or netbook or IPad (what is it)

Type of internet connection and it's tested speed (if you haven't tested it then at least the advertised speed......what your ISP says you have)

Are you networked and if so are you hardwired or wireless

What SL viewer are you using

Have you ever been able to run SL on that machine

Those are for starters..............that is enough to get something going that might help.

CPU type and speed

emachine model t2885      ?

Graphics manufacturer, onboard memory, is it  discrete or IGP (intergrated).....and current driver version

System  RAM

Operating system

Windows XP

Laptop or Desktop or netbook or IPad  (what is it)

Desktop

Type of internet connection and it's tested speed (if  you haven't tested it then at least the advertised speed......what your  ISP says you have)

its DSL... wireless adapter in the machine.    & IDK

Are you networked and if so are you hardwired  or wireless

wireless

What SL viewer are you using

the one from the SL site and tried snowglobe both have that same popup

Have you ever been  able to run SL on that machine

and yes, i've said that in the first post i believe... i did like a week ago but not since i rebooted the system.

all the info i have on hand...

just gonna write what comes up on my thing

System: Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service pack 3

Computer:

Intel Celeron CPU 2.80 ghz 512 mb of RAM

graphics driver

uhm it would be extremely helpful if you could tell me where i can get the other info you were asking for..

Intel Celeron CPU 2.80 ghz 512 mb of RAM

graphics driver

At least 90% of your problem right there.  Low system RAM.  XP will use what it needs before it lets anything else run........SL wants about 300 mb minimum (that mean XP is running on the remaining 200.........it can but it sure complains a lot).  Since you've had it running before I suppose it's safe to assume you can get it to do it again.  Intel chipsets are not officially supported by LL for running SL..........intergrated graphics are meant for light duty graphics that a business machine might encounter or a web surfing machine would need.  They will play streaming video without too much trouble but not really that well.  But SL is anything but light duty graphics.........it's probably the most graphically intensive program readily available anywhere for the average computer user to use.

What I suggest you try to get your computer to run SL is to go to Intel's web site (not eMachine) and find the latest driver for your IGP (intergrated graphics) and download it to your hard drive...........do not install from the web.  Then uninstall the driver you are using for your IGP (plus any others that you might have installed but not using).  You will have graphics after you uninstall but it won't be good.........usable though.  You'll be required to restart for the uninstallation to be completed and when you boot back up Windows will see your IGP without a driver and report it found new hardware.  You will be offered to have Windows search for and install a driver for you IGP..........close the window and do not allow Windows to do that.  Then navigate to where you downloade your driver from Intel's site and install it.  You'll have to restart again but this time when you boot back up you will be on the new driver.  Hopefully that fixes you up.

If not come back and maybe someone has another suggestion.  I have a couple more ideas but lets try one at a time for now.

• Like 1

let me see what I can find for your graphics card.

And, no don't go install any extra's until we get you running.  That would be just another potential problem or question should something not get you running.  My basic troubleshooting technique is ONE THING AT A TIME.  No need to toss in stuff that confuses the issue.

Okay without having the exact video chipset model I can't find a driver for you.  I did find an "Automatic Identify and Find Drivers" scan you can run from Intel's driver download site:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22Extreme+Graphics+3D%22

I can't run it for you since I my graphics is discrete and my IGP chipset is disabled on my machine.  Just run it and look for a video card driver for you computer.  Download it and install it like a suggested.  You'll also probably get an exact model for your video chipset........write it down and keep it somewhere you can find it later should you need it.

I also noticed that video adapter only has 64 megs of video memory!!!  That's about 200 less than you really need.........this is not looking good, I'm afraid.

This machine uses the Intel 845 Chipset and 82845G Graphics Controller according to eMachines. It uses shared memory. This means that part of the 512Meg of Ram is allocated to the graphics processor. I believe that your computer, with this graphics chipset is simply not capable of displaying SL in its present configuration.

The solution would be to add a graphics card, disable the onboard video and upgrade the ram to at least 1 gig. A video card that will run SL, such as the NVidia 8500 should be avaible to match your hardware at well under $100 on eBay. Be sure you have a slot available and what type before you purchase one.

If you used to be able to run SL on this machine but currently can not, what did you change?

Unfortunately, SL is quite demanding of the graphics subsystem and many computers, though very capable, won't run it. The main CPU does not seem to be as important as memory and graphics. I was messing with an old P3 and with a good graphics card and a gig of ram, it ran SL quite well.

Glad to see you got it up and running. I re-read your OP and saw that you had been running SL on this machine, so yeah, it had to be a driver update issue.

I would like to HIGHLY recommend, if you can afford it of course, that you upgrade the amount of Ram your machine has. If you are dedicating 128Meg to the video, which is likely, then you only have 384Meg for the rest of the applications etc to use. Memory for that machine should be really cheap. Going to one gig would help, but XP will handle up to 3.

That's good to here Stevi.

I wanted to answer a question you asked me yesterday or night before last that I did see until just a few minutes ago.

Can you update chipsets and are they "physical"?  Not to get too complicated chipsets are just small, usually special purpose CPU's (video CPU's are called GPU's) on some circuit board.  So, depending on how those chipsets are connected to your motherboard (or mainboard........the circuit board where everything is connected) will determine if they are upgradable.  All chipsets are hardware devices (so yes they are a "physical being").  In your case your video chipset would not be upgradable without replacing your motherboard since it is intergrated into the motherboard in such a way that it is actually part of it.  But, I'm sure some really geeky type can and/or has upgraded an intergrated chipset......but, in almost every case it is not upgradable in the sense that you can remove and replace it another, higher chipset to get a better video adapter.   If the chipset is placed on a separate circuit board and can be connected to the motherboard by plugging it in or otherwise allowing removal and replacement then the chipset is considered upgradable.  Those video chipsets (GPU's) are normally call discrete cards.  And convention over the years when some says chipset without specifying either discrete or calling it a video card they are speaking of intergrated graphics processors (IGP's).  I'm sure I contributed to your confusion with my interchanging chipset, IGP and intergrated chipset/video.......sorry about that.

The part that is almost always upgradable is the drivers for any hardware device requiring drivers.  There are devices that don't require drivers because they are universially included with all operating systems (but it's not important to know those exceptions to the rules).  A driver is a software program that communicates with the rest of your computer to make the hardware device work properly.   They also allow the hardware devices they are written for to perform  any new little tricks that programs require...........such as SL, when they introduce some new shiney for us to oooh and aaaah over.  So periodic driver updates (which are not really upgrades......that implies a new upgraded hardware device) to be capable of what the program wants the hardware device to perform.

So, assuming I have not completely lost you......no your chipset is not upgradable.  Yes your drivers are updatable.  The caveat is you very likely have a PCI or PCIe slot that will allow you to upgrade to a discrete card in the future and completely stop using your IGP all together.   Oh, I got a headache

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.