Blender to Export for Upload onto SL

EvelynScarlet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am making a signage for my shop. What I have done is imported an .svg made in Adobe Illustrator, and using 2D bevel and extrude in Blender I was able to create the signage.

See screen grab 1

I then exported to a .dae file and uploaded to SL. However I got an error and am unsure how to fix this.

See screen grab 2

Would appreciate a step-by-step guide to solve this issue.

Thanks!

Scarlet

1. Your object is a curve, not a mesh. You need to use Object->Convert to->Mesh from curve...

2. It has far too many triangles. If you try to import it it will have enormous LI and will have holes in (see this jira). After conversion you will have to do a lot of loop removal or decimation to arrive at a mesh with a reasonable LI.

If you are going to continue to work on this -- be sure and make the sign the SIZE you want in SL when you are testing (either in Blender or in the uploaded options window) so you can see the correct land impact. Also I would suggest using the Aditi grid to test.

There are many things that you can do in Blender that do not work well on our platform :D. Also don't forget to test how this will look for folks with the default LOD of 2. Since it is a sign that will in theory be seen from a distance, that is important.

Good luck! 

"...with the default LOD of 2..."

Chic, the default LOD (RenderVolumeLODFactor) is 1.125, except for ultra graphics settings, where it is 2. (see the "xxx_graphics.xml files in app_settings subfolder of viewer install directory). I've no idea how many people leave it there though. The maximum you can set it to with the object detail slider is also 2. Maybe that's what you were referring to?

HMMMMMM.

I have read SO MANY places that the default is 2. When I have installed a new viewer, it comes up as 2 for me -- until now we get to save our settings. So perhaps the viewer (I use Firestorm) sets the default LOD based on your system strength? and the folks that have posted have all had fairly decent systems?

LOD.jpg

There is a screenshot about what I meant.  It MAY be that you use the Linden viewer?  :D and most of us don't - LOL.   Not sure. You know I am not all that techie *wink*.  

Since FS has a VERY large piece of the viewer pie, I am going to go with them :D

"It MAY be that you use the Linden viewer?"

Of course. As far as I am concerned, the official viewer is the default viewer, and so the default settings are those that come with it. This is an LL forum, not a Firestorm forum. If information is specific for a particular third-party viewer, then perhaps that should be indicated. I've added a signature to avoid further confusion.

:D.  I am not a flag waver but since the large majority of folks are NOT on the Linden viewer then the "default" to me is the one that MOST folks see. It is a bit like saying I use Safari and so that is the default. It is for the person using it of course.

In the web business we considered (and still do in some ways although now phones and tablets and such have made it even more difficult ) that the browser with the largest share of viewers is the one that needs to be tested the most. Of course the pages should work on them all and on good days they do!  So it is just a definition of what default really means.

Right. Third party viewer developers may adjust every setting as they wish.

Firestorm has indeed different default LOD Factor settings than the official viewer.

While we are at it again. Soft Linden has filed a feature request, to show a warning when creating a mesh, or sculpt and the rendervolumeLODFactor setting is greater than the default. Which is a very good idea IMHO.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-6243?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=432681#comment-432681

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.