Sign in to follow this  
Bryn Kira

Scenery that is transparent on one side

Question

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place!

I'm trying to find out how to create scenery that shows an image on one side, but appears 100% transparent (invisible) on the other side as if the image is not there.  I think half my problem is that I'm not sure of the correct terminology to use, so my searches haven't produced much help.  I've searched transparency and alpha channels, and I've found tutorials on setting a portion of an image transparent/alpha, but I'm looking for information on setting the entire back side of an image as transparent.

I've created a mountain scene that goes around my land.  I've set the sky to be transparent so I have the default in-world sky.  The hills are opaque.  However, if someone is looking at my scenery from the backside, they see the hills as well, but I want them to not see the image at all from the back.  I've seen such images in-world, but I just don't know how to create them myself.

Can anyone help (and perhaps enlighten me as to what the correct terminology should be for this type of transparency)?  Thanks so much!

6 answers to this question

Hi Bryn,

All you need is a totally clear texture. If you are inworld, I will send you one.

--Cinn

PS  Texture sent along with an IM.  Just apply it to the back side only of your scene. (using the Select Texture in Edit)  If you apply it to the whole prim, you will have an invisible prim on your hands

Thank you all for your help!  I was missing the transparent texture and the ability to apply a texture to an individual side of a box (rather than the whole box).

Hi Bryn

To apply the texture to just one side, choose select texture, below the position and rotation buttons rather than on the texture tab itself. You'll see a crosshair in a circle appear on whatever side you click and then your texture will be applied to that side only.

Hope that helps