newbie needs help

Teresa Rudolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

In this order, try:

http://slurl.com/

Reset your modem

On login screen take this path. In top left hand corner of screen, click, edit > perferences > in the general tab, click the box that says "show start location on login screen" click apply, click OK. Now you have something new on your login screen. Click the down arrow and choose "home", or "last location" or type "Violet" (Any region you can remember will do, if you remember the regions name spelling exactly) in the "type region name" selection. Try all three if you need to.

Wait, sometimes the servers have problems, only wait a few hours, at most.

Make out a JIRA

Note: There are various right and wrong answers in helping others on help desks. More importantly there are partial, incomplete answers so you might reference several posts from here to get a complete answer or nearly complete answer.

I've never heard of anyone having to associate anything when launching SL.  Sounds like you have some corrupted or missing component of the SL program file.  Try uninstalling SL again.  Before reinstalling SL do a thorough search of your hard drive to find and manually delete anything related to SL.....you may have to show hidden files on your computer.  I forget how to get to the file association utility in Windows but go to help to find out how.....unassociate that updater with anything it's not intended to update (that sounds like part of Google Updater to me).

Some system specs would help out here.  And the operating system you are using.........I've assumed it is one of the Windows systems.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll try it right now. May I ask you another question pls?Why doesn't the Avatar I chose when setting up my account earlier today, not show up? Do I have to buy one. In edit profile I uploaded an Avatar twice and nothing came up. I lost 2 of the 3 free uploads. Whatevere... but why don't I have a picture displaying? You are too kind to take the time to answer my questions. Kindest etc., Teresa

Click the 'my stuff' button (upper left of this page), then 'profile' then under Actions select ' change avatar'... pick an avatar then click 'save settings'

No buying required, you can upload a max of 3 right off your computer.  (note, the 'edit profile' picture selection only reflects the photo used for your forum profile... the 'change avatar' reflects the photo used on threads - two different things/two different photos.. ie my thread pic isn't the same as my profile pic)

Use the 'edit profile' to change notifications, add a sig, etc.

Where the $#@& do you pick it from? What about the one I chose when I set up my account? I'm going to crash.  I like your avatar. I want a kewl one too.I tried zwinky to use my own image and when trying to use it I was informed that spyware was included so I passed. I am so keen to get on! but tres exhauste.

"Where the $#@& do you pick it from?"

The pic i use is my inworld avi; yes you can use the one you chose for your account provided it is on your computer or when inworld just sit on a pose, click 'snapshot' then upload it to your computer.  Once done, follow the above instructions.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Video_Tutorial/Take_a_snapshot

" I want a kewl one too."

Don't make me blush or giggle.

I know how to do that.........I forget how to get to the file association utility to unassociate whatever the OP associated to some "updater" file.  It's in Windows help somewhere.  Depending the exact Window operating system I would hesitate to give any exact instructions even if I knew the exact way to do so.  It seems the OP is a little less than expert in things computer.  Not a slam on her by any stretch but I don't want to confuse any more than necessary.........actually I don't want to confuse at all.

As I see it now we are probably talking about two different things under one topic.  How to get SL to work on her computer and how to upload a picture for an avatar picture used in these forums.  Sort a mess at the moment........lets work on one problem at a time.  Might be a little more helpful I would think.

Unklebob.Hotaling wrote:

"I forget how to get to the file association utility in Windows"

/me whispers click the "tools" tab then "folder options" then click the "show hidden folders" preference - this in XP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.