purchasing a bit of land?

Thalia Zaks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I've been thinking about buying a small parcel of land, maybe 1/32, enough to learn to build a house for myself and maybe own a little shop later on when i get better at building (trying to figure out the low prim mesh stuff.....headache!!)

My question is, if i was to abandon my linden home, then purchase some land...

a) will my free 512sqm be automatically added to the amount rather than a separate place?

b) if i bought 2048sqm, does that also include my free 512sqm, or is it added on top?

c) do i purchase 2048sqm, and they discount tier for my free 512sqm so i only effectively pay for 1536 sqm.

i'm a little confused, and want to get any advice before i go ahead and buy land.

also if there are any tips as to the best way to buy land, i'd really appreciate it. i've been on sl for a long time but only recently have become interested in tinkering with building (rather than just shopping) so i'm pretty new and a little clueless when it comes to land.

thanks in advance. 

You're talking about Mainland here, because that's where the tier-free Premium "bonus" 512 applies. The way it works is that, once you abandon the Linden Home parcel, that bonus 512 is over and above whatever you pay tier for, so if you do go with the 2048 tier level, you can actually own 2048 + 512 = 2560 sq.m. of Mainland.

(If you group-deed it, you get another 10% bonus, but that starts to get complicated. There are advantages, however, to group-owned land, once you're ready to take that step.)

Now, if you really want to own just 2048 sq.m., that's tricky: there's no tier level corresponding to 1536 (to make 2048 when your free 512 is added). You can either pay the 2048 tier level and leave that bonus 512 unused, or you can mint a Premium alt, combine its bonus 512 with yours, plus one 1024 tier, to total 2048. If you do the math, those premium bonus 512s are in fact the cheapest way to own Mainland -- just keep adding them together -- if they're annual-plan memberships and if you offset the membership fee by the value of the weekly stipend. So as crazy as it sounds, the bonus 512s from four annual premium accounts is the cheapest way, net of stipend, to get that 2048.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.