A question for 3d designers - experienced sculpty makers

Antreas Alter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello guys and gals !

I have seen at places some sculpties that do not deform when viewing from a large distance ( LOD ) , they just dissapear completly at a certain distance.

Question is what is their characteristic in design for this to happen

Suppose i have a sculpt that shows ok at 10m distance, shows deformed at 11 to 20 m distance, and shows brittaly deformed at 21 - 40 m distance, then, at 41 m it dissapears. Question is WHAT should i make so that sculpty will completly dissapear at 11 m viewing distance, instead of still showing at distances 11m+ deformed and distorted

* PS Question is NOT how to increase the viewing distance, with some tricks , i DONT care about larger viewing distance, if its good at only 10m i m fine with it, what i ask is how to make it completly dissapear at some (whatever) viewing distance instead of keep showing as a ...scrumbled ugly shape or a ...torus

3 answers to this question

I am looking forward to seeing responces to this, my experience says it is a component of the size of the prim used to create a sculpt. I see the disappearing behavior with any smaller prim. At a certain distance, seems to be about 25m,  .5 m cubes will disappear, a little farther out, 1 m cubes, but after that none ever do. My distance is set to 256 m so they are not getting out of view range. I know that changing my rendervolumeLODFactor to 6 improved the behavior of most smaller sculpts but not on some. I have also found that closing the ends of a sculpt with a proper pole seems to help too.

However, this all said, I still find scuplts to be a real trial and error process and would love to find a good, definative wiki or something on them.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.