Sign in to follow this  
Antreas Alter

A question for 3d designers - experienced sculpty makers

Question

I am looking forward to seeing responces to this, my experience says it is a component of the size of the prim used to create a sculpt. I see the disappearing behavior with any smaller prim. At a certain distance, seems to be about 25m,  .5 m cubes will disappear, a little farther out, 1 m cubes, but after that none ever do. My distance is set to 256 m so they are not getting out of view range. I know that changing my rendervolumeLODFactor to 6 improved the behavior of most smaller sculpts but not on some. I have also found that closing the ends of a sculpt with a proper pole seems to help too.

However, this all said, I still find scuplts to be a real trial and error process and would love to find a good, definative wiki or something on them.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

I am looking forward to seeing responces to this, my experience says it is a component of the size of the prim used to create a sculpt. I see the disappearing behavior with any smaller prim. At a certain distance, seems to be about 25m,  .5 m cubes will disappear, a little farther out, 1 m cubes, but after that none ever do. My distance is set to 256 m so they are not getting out of view range. I know that changing my rendervolumeLODFactor to 6 improved the behavior of most smaller sculpts but not on some. I have also found that closing the ends of a sculpt with a proper pole seems to help too.

However, this all said, I still find scuplts to be a real trial and error process and would love to find a good, definative wiki or something on them.

• Like 1

As I understand it the way to ensure sculpties do not deform badly is to ensure that the folding is correct.  Having said that, I have no idea what it means!  The best place to ask is in the 'building tips' forum at http://forums.secondlife.com/, where there are always lots of questions (and answers!) to sculpty questions.