Teleporting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Open the map. Pick a location on there by clicking it on the map, and then in the bottom right there's a teleport button.

I think you can find the map under the world menu, maybe also the m key. And if you right click the sidebar buttons and edit them, one of the choices you can add is a map button.

The other way to teleport is that if you have a landmark to somewhere, you can double click it and that teleports you there.

You can also enter locations on this:

http://slurl.com/

And use that to select a place, and it will have SL teleport you there.

That link is a 'SLURL' builder, or Second Life URL. It puts the coordinates of places in SL into a link like a webpage link. You can use that to make links outside of SL that people can click to go somewhere, and those same links can be said in chat or IM inworld to let people teleport to them.

In my sig, is one such link to my shop. There's not much there for a new person - unless you wanted to explore by walking out of it and along the streets of Bay City where its located (but there are no social places near it, so that would be more of a solo exploration).

If you can't teleport anywhere, there are two things I can think of:

1. You may have a hardware router or modem with a firewall blocking the special ports needed. Generally, the firewall built into Microsoft Windows is not a problem - it will ask you about Second Life, just answer that it should allow Second Life. Hardware firewalls are a different matter, and are usually more complicated. See http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539

2. Maybe you created your avatar as part of an educational instution, though the interface the school provided. Edu avatars are often locked to the school's property, and can not leave. 

If you can teleport some places, but not others, there can be many causes:

1. You might be under-age, so you can't go to adult or moderate rated places. Even if you are adult aged, you still have to set the viewer software to allow access - when you install the viewe it defaults to allow only "general" rated region access.

2. The owner of the place you want to go to may have set restrictions on who can get in.

3. The place you are trying to go to no longer exists, or the region has a problem and is temporarily off-line.

4. Teleport failures are not that rare, particularly if you are wearing something that is heavily loaded with script.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.