Smooth Movement Loopy puzzle

Qwalyphi Korpov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thinking llSetTextureAnim(ANIM_ON | LOOP | SMOOTH ... would be useful for some scrolling text signs.  It looked simple.  I'd used the un-smooth variation to do some little animations.  So.. just divide up a texture into frames and have them follow each other smoothly across the face of a prim.  I make a 1x8 stack of texture and try it .. omg.. this is not what I expected.. One frame begins to follow the preceding across the face but ... then is suddenly is following itself instead.  Then I make a 8x1 texture and it gives me what I wanted.  But a function that only works as described when it's nx1?  Am I missing something that makes this function behave?

I include a photo below. 

Top prim is using the 1x8 texture.  It shows frame 7 following itself.  Bottom prim shows frame 7 following the tail of frame 6.

The significant lines from the two approaches are:

llSetTextureAnim(ANIM_ON | LOOP | SMOOTH , ALL_SIDES,1,8,0.0, 8.0,0.36);

llSetTextureAnim(ANIM_ON | LOOP | SMOOTH , ALL_SIDES,8,1,0.0, 8.0,0.36);

SmoothScrollingFrames_001_001c2.png

SMOOTH|LOOP slides along the horizontal U-axis (in the X direction), instead of playing separate frames. You're trying to do both with the 1x8. What's happening is your viewer pulls a frame through, then scrolls down to the next and pulls it through etc.

It works correctly with the 8x1 because you're "pulling the ribbon" from one end to the other.

LepreKhaun wrote:

SMOOTH|LOOP slides
along the horizontal U-axis
 (in the X direction),
instead
of playing separate frames. You're trying to do both with the 1x8. What's happening is your viewer pulls a frame through, then scrolls down to the next and pulls it through etc.

It works correctly with the 8x1 because you're "pulling the ribbon" from one end to the other.

Hmmmm.... well it obviously doesn't do what I expected.  The WIKI says "If SMOOTH is set, the frames slide smoothly from one to the next, if off, each frame is displayed in turn centered on the face."  So I'm feeling misled.  There probably could be some rewording about 'frames slide smoothly within an X row however dropping down a row gives you a less smooth transition"... aw, I'm getting sea sick here with waves of flippin' frames filling my head.  Still there are puzzles beyond the one by - I must go down to the sea again.

The ribbon thing.. I like that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.