My Avatar is Scaring Villagers

Mandy6767

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got a shape, put a skin on it. and it didn't look like the picture.

So I started playing with the sliders and now it doesnt even look human.

I have tried other shapes to get it to look like those, but it seems when you change the sliders the effects persist.  I have tried the reset avatar trick by draging a file from the library, but the face remains scary.

Do I need to give up and start a new account?  Or is there a way to recover?  If so, how?

Mandy6767 wrote:

I got a shape, put a skin on it. and it didn't look like the picture.

So I started playing with the sliders and now it doesnt even look human.

I have tried other shapes to get it to look like those, but it seems when you change the sliders the effects persist.  I have tried the reset avatar trick by draging a file from the library, but the face remains scary.

Do I need to give up and start a new account?  Or is there a way to recover?  If so, how?

You don't need to start a new account. You can replace your shape as many times as you wish and you can have as many shapes as you want in your inventory.

In order to recover, I know of several options

1. If you saved the changes, an automatic copy is made (this is what happens in my inventory). You should still have the original shape in your inventory. The modified shape (the one you changed) will have "new" after the name of the item if you don't rename it. They will all be in the same folder, the one at the bottom is the original shape. Replace it.

Anytime you modify, choose save as and rename so you can keep track.

If that is not the case:

2. Ask the seller if they can re-deliver or send you the numbers on the sliders. Some creators keep track of the shape slider numbers that goes with each skin. Just explain to them what happened. Most likely they will choose to re-deliver. The item is going to be sent you again, so it's not like you are asking them to give a free one to another person.

3. Did you have to unpack the box? Sometimes the packed box is still in your received items or object folder and it's seperate from the opened unpacked folder. Just open again and copy to inventory again.

4. Put the sliders that you moved at 50 (only the ones you moved). Work with one at a time. Slowly move the slider back and/or forth until that part of the avatar looks somewhat like the original or somewhat "normal" to you. You may have to go back and forth between different sliders because a change in one will effect the other.  This requires alot of time and patience. Just work slowly (move one-four numbers at a time and look at your avatar from all angles.)

From now on, before editing anything, make a copy.

I'm curious to know if a shape can be set back to default but as far as I know, it can't. However, maybe someone else on here knows a way to do that.

hope this helps:matte-motes-big-grin:

LoriLexa wrote:

I'm curious to know if a shape can be set back to default but as far as I know, it can't. However, maybe someone else on here knows a way to do that.

There is no default shape(ETA: except Ruth?;-). That's why we can't revert to it. Though now I am curious what an avatar would look like with every slider set to 50.

@Mandy

LoriLexa gave excellent advice.

Welcome to the world of shape and skin interaction. I've never been able to make myself look like the skin or shape adverts in most places. It's only when a vendor sells them together that you get what you see. And I've never seen a pair that I liked. If you don't like the shape you mangled, get one from the library. There are plenty of shapes in the starter avatars and I've based mine off one of them.

And editing a shape can be VERY time consuming. As you've discovered, many of the sliders interact with each other. So it's rare that you can nudge a slider and be done, particularly on the face. Be patient, look at other avatars, ask questions, it'll come.

Oh, before I forget...

Welcome to Second Life!

If the title of your post is any indication, we're lucky to have you here.

;-)

cheeseburgerpickle wrote:

Mandy you're a champion! That was really educational. I had no idea a copy of your shape was automatically saved in that manner. 

Hi Cheese, I'm not sure but were you referring to my post? I'm not Mandy (check the profile badge connected to the post). I don't want to comment unless it was not directed to me. Just checking:matte-motes-big-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.