Rigged mesh perfect in Maya - not so much in SL....

Aurelia Chauveau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Guys

This is frustrating me to no end. I've spent the past 2 hours trying different ways to resolve my issue, and I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I have rigged my mesh in Maya, and everything moves nice and smoothly.  I have 2 different materials on my mesh. To better see what the problem was, I applied 2 textures. The blue one works just fine, no issues, no glitches. The pink one however, is doing some crazy stuff!

In maya, I don't see this happen. (I have checked and re-checked and redone about 6 times just to make sure)  I have used 2 different materials on my rigged mesh before (maybe 2 weeks ago), and didn't have this problem.

The mesh is one object in maya. All transforms are frozen, all history is deleted.

Please help!

Aurelia Chauveau

Snapshot_001.jpg

Aurelia Chauveau wrote:

Hi Cathy,

Yes it is all rigged the same as the nearest blue areas... that's why I'm having trouble figuring out why they are going haywire.
:(
  I was wondering if it did have something to do with them having 2 different materials at all.

What happens if you replace the pink material with the blue so it is all the same?  Don't change the weights or anything.

There should not be an issue with having multiple materials rigged. Check over the verts in the pink area to make sure they are all assigned to have the correct weight group. If they have multiple groups this is usually fine, but on occassion you'll have a group assigned to that areas from a weird position on the object causing extreme cases of weirdness, Will have to unassign it from say the eye or something. 
ETA: When this happens the program interprets the weights and usually they are heavy enough not to have that strangely assigned weight show up at all. But then you are only moving X bone, once you move the other bone, eye for example. The weight shoots up trying to get to the eye as it moves

Well I have to go back and change my UV's so they all fit on one map if I change the materials because at present they overlap (hence needing 2 materials).  I'm going to test uploading them as separate rigged objects (linked in SL) and see if that solves it.  If not I'll change the uv's and just have one texture.

So just a bit of an update:

When I went back in and assessed my UV maps, I was able to easily fit them onto one map pretty well so I went down that way and have just the one material on it and the rigging works just fine... very very strange! I'm not sure why having that material the same would make any difference but there you go... the mystery remains.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

YW Aurelia! :)

Just out of curiosity would you be willing to take your now single material mesh and add a completely new material to those same faces that were giving you errors?

Perhaps there was just something wonky about that pink material.  Some setting that had gone funny.  I would try just a plain default lambert.

If you don't feel like messing with it anymore I totally understand. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.