Blender 2.69 + Fitted Mesh = Exasperation!

Vaughan Vendetta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey forumers - New to this place but not a newbie at mesh.. Up until today.

I had a VERY solid and glitch-free workflow between Wings3D and Blender 2.59 with the Bone Weight Copy Script until I realized that the new fitted mesh .blend files from LL (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh#Download_links) simply were not compatible with Blender 2.59.

The mesh avatar was stuck in wireframe mode, I could not weight paint and anything I tried to rig and export would not even be recognized by SL. (Viewer 3.7.0.286015)

So I updated to Blender 2.69, forgoing the Bone Weight Copy Script (as 2.69 includes a weight transfer tool) and began to rig and export a test mesh.

The results were absolutely jacked. Even WITH the OpenSim/SL Compatability option, the mesh came out a garbled and confused mess.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a brick wall for 2.69 Blender users experimenting with fitted mesh?

My research on the matter (Correct me if I'm wrong):

Avatar Workbench is Pre-Fitted Mesh and does NOT work for fitted mesh rigs.
AvaStar workflow differs somewhat from the official SL fitted mesh .blend and is still a WIP.

What are my options? Switch to Maya? Wait until there is more compatible information? Use prior versions of Blender?

Hi;

The Avatar Workbench was a quick shot. What i did was to cut down the Avastar armature and make it "compatible" with pure blender so that you do not need the Avastar Collada exporter to get your meshes to SL. But i made a mistake. So fitted mesh doesn't work with that workbench as intended.

But a few days after we detected this problem (thanks to Darien Caldwell), LL released a blend file with a working skeleton. So actually the workbench for fitted mesh was no longer needed. I should have taken the workbench page down (and  i apologize that i forgot to do this).

Regarding Avastar: Avastar had support for Liquid mesh since october 2012, and as soon as Fitted mesh came out, we added the new bones to the mix and it seems to work. Since then i have been very busy with improving the workflows. And as soon as the fitted mesh was released (yesterday...) i uploaded the Avastar-1.1 release candidate.

What is realy missing still is updating the documentation to the newest user interface (it has changed a bit but imo it has become much easier to use compared to Avastar 1.0)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.