I am having issues walking. I can sit and fly but can not move my avatar from where she stands.

erza Kegel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Last night Second Life did a crash on me and I came back as a cloud of smoke after about 45 minutes I was finally able to see my character by resetting her to the default settings. Now I can not walk at all. I can fly and I can sit but can not walk period. It's like I have a force field preventing me from walking. I've cleared my cache and even changed viewers, i've also tried tp'ing to other places. And my avi still does this same, I do not have RLV enabled and i'm at a lose and do not know what to do. Can someone please help?

2 answers to this question

This one is not going to be easy to solve without more information.  What you are describing are symptoms of a very poor Internet connection.  Signals are taking so long to travel between your viewer and SL's servers that you have huge lag. I suspect that you didn't really crash.  You timed out and the servers gave up waiting for a response from your viewer. 

Next time you can log in, open your Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1) and look for two values near the top of the display.  Ping Time (sometime labeled Ping Sim) is a measure of how long it takes signals to travel between your viewer and the servers. In most parts of the US, that is around 50-60 ms for moist people.  In Europe, it can be 120-150.  In India and Australia, which are farther from the servers, it can be over 200 ms.  People with ping times that high commonly complain about bad lag.  If your ping time is much larger than that, you'll crash a lot.  The other value to look for is Packet Loss, which is a measure of how much information is being lost in transmission. Ideally, that's 0.0%, but it often runs as high as 0.5%.  Again, if it's much higher, you'll be sending and receiving corrupted information and will lock up or crash.  You can get a lot more information about these and other diagnostics in Nalates's blog at http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

If you can't solve the problem yourself with that information, come back here and share it.  Also, tell us as much about your computer and your Internet connectionas you can, so that we know what sort of equipment you are using.  Just click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.