Persistent spam in mail box. Same site, different names

KnightSaber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"Hello ! Welcome to: www. mmook . com Buy Cheapest Linden Dollars . 5K Linden Dollars = 12.57 USD.Wish you happy every day in Second Life !"

I did not click on this.  When I searched how to open my mail box, I found I got the same message from different people in my mail box.  That is a very bad sign giggles.  Ohers have got it too and we have no groups in common.  Second Life please deal with this and to everyone who reads this, please spread the warning.

First there are no Lindens here.  Only experienced residents that volunteer their time to answer questions.

There is nothing LL can do about this because you can't send emails from SL and no one has access to your email address unless you give it to them or gave it to someone who gave it to the spammer.  LL has no control over email being sent from outside SL,

If you are also getting the same messages by IM in SL, turn off the option to forward the im to email.  Also AR whoever is sending you this unsolicited spam, which is against the TOS.

These are coming as private messages. You can stop those from going to email by changing your settings at my.secondlife.com.

This is a lot like giving up, but since LL will do nothing about it you kinda have no choice. This spammer has effectively disabled private messages for everyone. Soon someone will come along and do the same for IMs.

Your statement does make me wonder what's going on. I have no idea what it could be, but I'm thinking there might be some connection between the spammer's targets (I am assuming we're talking about the spammer d'jour: mmook). Clearly it's not a blanket attack on my.secondlife.com.

I know I shouldn't mention that it hasn't happened to me (PM's open on profile) or to any of my three friends (okay: I have a few more but in any case we're a small sample size). There's a better way to check. Just go look at the Feed. I don't ever look at trending but I frequently see the 'front page' and there's been nothing posted about mmook there that I've seen.

If this was just a general attack on anyone with a Second Life account, you'd think more people would be mentioning it on the Feed since that's where all the messages are sent. By the way as a short term solution for those of you who ARE getting hit by this: turn notifications to email off to stop the junk flooding your email. The rest should be easy: when you click on notifications on your profile you can just opt out of the latest spammer's messages. It does require you to do a bit more personal maintenance but at least it would let you receive what you want and ignore what  you don't. 

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Your statement does make me wonder what's going on. I have no idea what it could be, but I'm thinking there might be some connection between the spammer's targets (I am assuming we're talking about the spammer d'jour: mmook). Clearly it's not a blanket attack on my.secondlife.com.

I know I shouldn't mention that it hasn't happened to me (PM's open on profile) or to any of my three friends (okay: I have a few more but in any case we're a small sample size). There's a better way to check. Just go look at the Feed. I don't ever look at trending but I frequently see the 'front page' and there's been nothing posted about mmook there that I've seen.

It seems that not everyone is getting this spam, my main and one of my two alts get it, but not the other. Who knows how mmook created their mailing list but it doesn't include everyone.

Another reason for it being less noticeable is that many SL residents may not even know they are receiving this spam, because rather than trying to put an end to the spam, LL is simply no longer forwarding these messages to email. This is unfortunate on two counts, firstly as I no longer get them in email I cannot forward them to spam reporting agencies such as SpamCop which would have hopefully eventually had mmook shut down.

But a more pressing problem is that many customers or potential customers do not know that the message system is now barely functional and thus still try to use it to communicate with merchants. Just today I received an irate IM from a customer who has been waiting a week for a response to a message I never realized had been sent. Checking my messages I found two genuine messages and a fresh bunch of mmook spam waiting for me :(

Either LL needs to fix it the message system, or better yet disable it completely. Just because LL treats its customers with complete disdain, doesn't mean merchants would like to be tarred with the same brush for not answering our messages.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.