Diving under the radar :)

SweetLadyMell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi gang! :)

So, I've been an avid user of the radar, such a great tool to see who's around. Some names have a green indication of the distance, others black. Th ones in red are closest, no surprises here. The ones in black - though within my viewing distance - cannot be cammed, if I double-click on someone's name with a green indication, I can cam in. How is that done? Can I enable/disable that too for me?

Thanks for helping out a noobette ^^

Hugs

Mell

xxx

I'll take a guess from the colors that this is on Singularity? All the viewer radars work a little different.

For Singularity red=in regular chat range, yellow=in shout range, green=outside chat/shout but cammable, black=not cammable.

An avatar can only be cammable if the server put it in your interest list. This is a little more complicated than draw distance, the server only uses that for a starting point to figure out what it shows you. Your camera direction right now and in the last while counts too. If you spin around a little, that can make more avatars viewable. If you're near a region edge, crossing over the line will make a difference. If you alt-click cam to look around the sim, that can make even more avatars visible.

If you're on land that has the "see avatars" restriction, you can only see avatars that are in the same parcel. You also can't see avatars inside one of those parcels unless you're there too. Those parcels have limits on how far up or down you can go, too.

Hi,

Thanks, and yes, I use Singularity :)

Well, with that radar I noticed avatars going from green (cam-able) to black (non cam-able) so I suspect the player can set this...

Nothing wrong with my settings.

I rent in a pretty 'busy" place where all the Avatars are camable, except some. Never noticed that before, until I started to rent a second home in a more quiet place, there it did become apparent. It's comething pretty handy to just dive under the radar once in a while, I get IM's all the time, possibly due to the fact that "they" cam me out (and...why not) and then decide to go into an IM....all pleasant and well, but when I"m in a session...some "distance" would be nice ^^

Mell

xxx

Nah, they aren't really trying to hide.

A few months ago the servers got more aggressive about sending information that was really in the camera's view, that is part of the "project interesting" that LL just blogged about. Most of that really happened on the server, the new viewer has the final touches. Long range avatar watching depended on the server being sloppy, so that doesn't work as well as it used to, is all.

Those viewers could fiddle with some things to make it work better again. It they could scoot the camera to near the avatar's mini map location, that would wake up the interest list. I think the Exodus viewer might already do something like that, it can zoom in on avatars that are really, really far away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.