ERROR link failed -- insufficient land resources

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

this can happen if either of those sculpted items are realyl mesh objects, or you have applied newer features like materials to any of them. Either of those will force all of the link st to switch to new style accounting. Change the physics type on as many parts as you can to convex hull or none, then try linking again.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

this can happen if either of those sculpted items are realyl mesh objects, or you have applied newer features like materials to any of them. Either of those will force all of the link st to switch to new style accounting. Change the physics type on as many parts as you can to convex hull or none, then try linking again.

Though your assessment of what is causing the problem is most likely correct, your suggested solution probably won't work. This is because a sculpty's Land Impact is usually driven by Download Weight, which is unaffected by use of convex hull or none, which only affect Physics Weight.

@OP- To determine what is causing this, select each object in turn in Edit Mode and open the Advanced Edit Floater for it. This is done by clicking More info as illustrated here:

Advanced-Edit-Interface.jpg

Make note of the three numbers I've circled in this floater; Download, Physics and Server. These are the factors that determine the LI under mesh accounting. These three numbers are rounded up and the highest of them results in your effective Land Impact. However, if the object is under the legacy prim accounting (which is the case if the object contains no mesh, nothing set to convex hull and nothing using the new materials) and then the LI is simply the number of prims in the object.

In other words, looking at the object I've selected above, note that the Download Weight is 2.6 and the Server Weight is 2.8. Both of these round up to 3, which will be my effective LI under mesh accounting. However, under prim accounting, the number above that, in SELECTED 5 Prims, would set the Land Impact. [NOTE: Prims is used in the general sense here as individual elements within an object and counts each sculpty, prim and mesh item as 1.]

So, to determine what is happening; make note of these numbers for each object and determine which are under mesh accounting or not. Those under prim accounting and having a lot of sculpties are going to cause you problems because of the sculpty's Download Weight, which is "hidden" as long as it's under prim accounting. And there is no "trick" to counter Download Weight, as there might be with using none and convex hull to control Physics Weight.

Long story short, sculpties do poorly under mesh accounting and there is no way around it.

Except that the download weight of a sculpty is now capped at 2.0, while its physics weight is uncapped. Consequently this sort of problem is probably more likely to involve physics weights. However, setting to Convex hull will not always solve the problem*. If a sculpty has a lot of convex curved surfaces, which is common, the Convex hull can still have a large physics weight. The advantage is that it isn't size dependent, so that it doesn't explode, like the triangle-based weight does, if the object is small.

*But setting it to "None" will!

Drongle McMahon wrote:

Except that the download weight of a sculpty is now capped at 2.0, while its physics weight is uncapped. ...

Errr, yes, the download weight can vary between 1.3 and 2.0 but I believe you meant to say that the physics weight of a sculpty under mesh accounting is a constant set at 1.8, the same as a CH torus with minimal hole.

Or do you know something I haven't realized yet?

Looks like you are right. I hadn't looked at a sculpty since early mesh beta! When did that change? I see there are some un-mesh-like effects on normal prims too. In fact the default torus CH (that is the phsyics shape of a sculpty) is not constant with size, like mesh CH, but has a step increase at 5m and 25m. So it's 1.8 if it's small, but more when it'sbigger than those sizes. Hmm. Is that documented anywhere? It doesn't happen with the sculpty, which stays at 1.8!

I was assuming that sculpties behaved like other prims when they were converted to the new accounting. Those generally (i.e. when they are not compatible with Havok primitives) get triangle-based physics shapes, which you can see in the physics shape view, and which can have very high physics weights that increase with decreasing size. For some reason, sculpties appear to retain their default shape. So the accounting is changed, but the shape isn't.

I don't believe that it's documented anywhere but I first noticed this 7 months ago by my notes, so I'd have to guess this change happened before April of this year.

And, without confirmation by a Linden, this is (at best) an unproven theory, since it's impossible to examine every sculpty in SL. All I really know is that I have yet to encounter one in my brief time here that it didn't apply.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.