Joint Translation in Animations

Sonicblade Aura

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently made a mesh avatar and am not trying to make animations for it. Im trying to animate them in a somewhat cartoony way meaning that I want the arms and legs to stretch in certain parts of the animation. I use Qavimator to make my animations then edit them in a program called BVHacker to offset or stretch and shrink the bones in the frames I want them to stretch or shrink in;however when I upload them the joint translations are ignored. I found out  that SL appearantly ignores Joint translation and goes by the appearance sliders.

I would have given up there if I hadent remembered that I had a gesture that contained an animation that stretch my whole torso upward and then back in place. Does anyone know how thats possible and what the creator of that gesture might have done to get that result?

• 7 months later...

This is not something that I have ever done, but in theory, you don't need to make weird animations for your avatar to look the way you want. When you import the custom avatar, the bone lengths and size are embedded in the avatar. You should be able to play any animation on that avatar, reguardless of the bone lengths. The only thing you might have to do to the animation is adjust it height position in relation to the first and second frames.

Of course, I know that many avatars before mesh used bone deformers to alter the skeleton, but with mesh you really don't need to do that. Like I said tho, I don't do this kind of stuff or make characters that need massive body adjustments, so I'm just talking about my own experiences.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.