Issue running SL.

LethalFantasia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have recently installed Second Life and began playing. However ten minutes into the server, my computer was over heated. I played with a cooling pad as well.

Specs:

CPU: AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (2295.7 MHz)
Memory: 5595 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit (Build 9200)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7660G

Could anyone please help me with this? I want to play SL and I wanted to know if I need a new graphic card or anything of that nature. Thanks.

ok, there are two very easy things to try first.

Enable the advanced menu (ctrl alt D) and then at the bottom of that menu is "show debug settings".

Set the value of MaxFPS to 30 (or a bit less if happy) and YieldTime to 50.

See if that lets it run much cooler.  The viewer tries to run the graphics card as hard as it can and it can run uneccesarily fast (MaxFPS setting) and similarly, the CPU will run at 100% most of the time when in SL, you can change that by making it give up time and run a bit slower (YieldTime).

Those changes should let you run much cooler.  You can change them to no ill effect, make YieldTime higher until you feel it's sluggish, or if it's too sluggish, reduce it a bit at a cost of heat.

Same with MaxFPS, lower the value, the screen updates will be less but cooler.

High framerate isn't the only thing that puts a load on your system.

You could lower your graphics settings (in SL), with ctrl-P. Use the advanced settings and play around. I'd start with lowering the draw distance and if it's enabled, disabling shadows.

If you're a bit adventurous, you could open your laptop and see if there's any dust.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.