Avatar Appearance vs Avatar Components on Marketplace?

Revenant Underby

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Revenant Underby wrote:

This is probably a dopey question, but what is the difference between Avatar Appearance and Avatar Components on Marketplace?  Avatar Appearance seems to contain skins and shapes but Avatar Components has sections for skins, shapes and one for combinations of the two.

So what's the difference?

Thanks.

You can see the hierarchy/listing structure here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Marketplace/2012_Category_Changes#Avatar_Appearance

An explanation of how they are used is here:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines?#category-guidelines

Hope this helps you.  Yes it can seem confusing at times.

Oh I see (and thank you for the links).  They've moved "Avatar Components" out from underneath "Avatar Appearance" to the top level.

That's really weird.  The stuff under Avatar Components (Shape, skins, eyes) are all a subset of Avatar Appearance.  If you don't put skins and shapes under Avatar Appearance, then what is supposed to go in that category?

At this point, it would probably make a ton more sense to remove the standalone Avatar Appearance category altogether.  There doesn't seem to be a single thing in it that wouldn't make sense under Avatar Components or one of its subcategories (or Complete Avatars).

I really would be very suprised if the majority of merchants or users understand what is meant to go in Avatar Appearance as distinct from Avatar Components...

Revenant Underby wrote:

Oh I see (and thank you for the links).  They've moved "Avatar Components" out from underneath "Avatar Appearance" to the top level.

That's really weird.  The stuff under
(Shape, skins, eyes) are all a subset of
.  If you don't put skins and shapes under
, then what 
is
 supposed to go in that category?

At this point, it would probably make a ton more sense to remove the standalone 
category altogether.  There doesn't seem to be a single thing in it that wouldn't make sense under 
or one of its subcategories (or
Complete Avatars)

I really would be very suprised if the majority of merchants or users understand what is meant to go in Avatar Appearance as distinct from Avatar Components...

I didn't follow in detail what went on when all this happenned.  If you have specific questions you'd probably get a better response in the Merchants Sub-Forum.  If I recall there was a JIRA for Merchants to give their input and feed back.

The do it yourself bloatware that mimics a Marketplace has so many problems it's crazy.  In the long run it is probably costing the Lab more fixing it than if they had hired an expert in the first place to do it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.