Cheap macbook to run SL?

meganumi Furse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it me? or am I actually missing the days where I can actually run SL?? I mean I used to run SL on my flipping stone age comaq desktop, my netbook wont everm run it, and I bought in 2012! I mean I'm just saying, I'm thinking about getting a macbook, not a macbook air I don't have grand fortune at my disposal! Amazon and ebay has some pretty great deals for a regular old macbook, thinking of buying a 2006 model. so any advice?

Is it me? or am I actually missing the days where I can actually run SL?? I mean I used to run SL on my flipping stone age comaq desktop, my netbook wont everm run it, and I bought in 2012! I mean I'm just saying, I'm thinking about getting a macbook, not a macbook air I don't have grand fortune at my disposal! Amazon and ebay has some pretty great deals for a regular old macbook, thinking of buying a 2006 model. so any advice?

Your netbook is not made to run games or other heavy programs such as SL. Its not to blame, cause a netbook is not a compareable with a real computer.

Which leads me to your macbook idea. I have to admit, I hate apple since they broke my Iphone out of greed. But anyway...I don't think an old macbook will make you happy. 2006 is very old and a macbook will be impossible hard to upgrade. How much many do you want to spend on a new computer? Does it has to be a mac for a specific reason?

Regular white MacBook from those days had Intel graphics, and it was the older really dreadful kind. Please don't do this to yourself if running SL is your goal. A desktop machine, preferably no more than a year or two old, can be a better category to look in if you want acceptable SL and not too big a crater in the budget. You will probably have to rule out Apple to keep the price down, but SL runs about the same on any OS anyway.

I'm thinking about getting a macbook, not a macbook air I don't have grand fortune at my disposal!

Woah! Macbook Air won't be such a great idea anyway! That's a - how do they call these things? - a ultrabook. It's made to a form factor (small, light, fashionable) not to a  use factor.

What's the most important thing for any machine running SL? Right, graphics! Yeah. A Macbook Air won't give you any pleasure in that aspect. If you really need (not want, but NEED) a laptop and have your mind set on Apple, then only a beefy Macbook Pro will do the job! No netbook, no tablet, no smartphone.

I won't recommend any Apple product anyway.

But, please, some ppl just liike to be laid in chains and guided into the computer experience as dreamed up by Microsoft, Apple and Google like small children. Please don't ever start thinking for yourself, rather pay their ridiculous prices and stop worrying. If you really wanna folow that path then just go ahead. :smileyindifferent:

I have a mid 2009 Macbookbook pro. It has an Nvidia 9400m graphics processor with shared memory. It will run sl, but at low settings, and low draw distance. 25 frames per second at the very top. Maybe 7-12 FPS in crowds. This is about the minimum you can get away with, I think. If you can find a macbook with an nvidia gpu, at will at least be somewaht usable. I would not use it as a main sl computer though. YMMV. 

There are a lot of reasons a growing number of people prefer macs. I run sl on an old mac pro 15" portable and also an older Imac. Ive been a firestorm devotee for a long time now but found crashing in live music venues with lots of people had me thinking about buying a newer mac. Then I tried singularity. wow it was amazing, able to run at high graphics without crashing. seems like , at least for me, firestorm allows the sl plugins to get out of control with memory usage and will shut things down pretty fast, as well as texture overloads. anybody who experiences crashing on busy sims with a mac should try singularity. obviously your mileage may vary. 

• 1 month later...

I've got a Mac Mini and Macbook Pro 13" (both 2011), and they both run SL fine. I usually have mid graphics settings, but it can go ultra in not so populated sims. No problems whatsoever. 

Having said that, I use a parts PC dedicated to SL and gaming, but am soon replacing it with an iMac.

• 5 months later...

My laptop had broke and now i have to use a netbook... anyway you said that have not mainstream choices that are more cheap. Could you give me some suggestions? I don't really care much about computers or lables, but would like to have one that could run sl just fine and don't pay much for it. Thanks ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.