Newbie having problem with psd files in texturing clothes.

etheltokwa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello !! I recently purchased a a mesh dress in full perms and it doesn't come with psd files . My question is , How do i texture this ? Here is the link of the dress  : https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/FULL-PERM-Rigged-WC-Mesh-Fairy-Dress/5155057

Package includes: 
- 5 rigged mesh models (XS, S, M, L,XL) 
- Shadow map texture 
- UV map texture 
- Alpha map texture

Im new to this whole thing and i'm really willing to learn i have searched on youtube and google none has answered my question . I also made a psd file ou tof it but it didn't help becuase  mayeb i did something wrong . Please help me . I really want this dress.  :(

1 answer to this question

A psd file is for use in Photoshop (or GIMP or PaintShopPro --- they will all accept the psd format).  The textures that you did receive are probably all png files (or tga), so you can import them as layers in Photoshop, to use as a guide for creating your own textures.  It sounds like you may have already tried doing that.

Here's one way to start.  Take a look at the basic clothing tutorials on Natalia Zelmanov's blog.  They are dated by now, but the basic techniques haven't changed, and her work is very well illustrated.  Basically, what you need to do is substitute your own UV map wherever she refers to the map for the default SL avatar and then use your shadow map as an overlay where she refers to creating layers for shading. The psd file you will be creating is a lot simpler than hers because it will not have all the extra layers that contain matching guides, color bands, etc.  The only tricky part is creating the alpha channel image that you will use to mask the neckline, sleeves, and any cutout areas in your design.  Again, though, follow Natalia's examples and you ought to be able to get the spirit of the exercise.

Save the alpha map as a standalone texture that you will apply later to your avatar in world, to hide body parts that are supposed to be inside your dress. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.