Certain .tga files causing crashes?!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been trying to create with some old targa (tga) files that I've made, but whenever I try to use some of them, my viewer crashes as soon as the file is selected. 

This doesn't occur with -all- of my tga files, some of them I can use just fine. I save them all in the same manner, so I'm not sure what's causing the crashes. 

Why am I crashing and how can I prevent it??

And also, my Esc key has suddenly decided to stop resetting my camera view. there's nothign wrong with the keyboard,  is there something i need to fix in my settings to get this working again?

[Using Firestorm 4.4.2]

Do I need to file a Jira?

It might help to say which version of the viewer you're using - a lot of older ones will crash on image uploads (such as the 2nd or 3rd upload after 1 or 2 with no problem). I actually haven't uploaded images with latest FS, but I believe that issue was resolved.

I also know it sounds simple, but the only time I have trouble getting the esc. to work is when I don't realize that SL is not the active window even though it's on top. Other than that, it's also easy to change how the camera reacts using the camera controls or through preferences. I believe how to change it will be different depending on your viewer.

I would not do that unless you can be certain it is a viewer related issue - I just tested that version of FS and it worked fine. It wasn't a foolproof test since I stopped after the 3rd, (now that I think about it), but when it was happening to me, it was always only 2 that would work before having to relog. You might need to check and be sure of the order of events and details. If it really is only specific files, then who knows, maybe those files really are corrupt and contributing to the problem, or maybe it is a graphics card issue.

There already is a jira about that problem. Specifically, the file open dialog would not appear on screen after a certain number of uploads; it took the focus of the software anyway, with no way to respond to it since you couldn't see it. I was told it was fixed in the latest versions and it appears to me that it is.

ETA: You can find my post about in the Second Life Server section - it was not limited to a specific viewer. I think this thread was moved since you are asking about a problem that most likely has nothing to do with the SL viewer.

try manual clean

**ok First you need to log into non Firestorm viewer like the official SL viewer...
Then find in your inventory the firestorm folder and delete it and empty trash...
then log out...
**then go in your C drive folder in your start menu and follow this path
C:\Users\**Your PC User Name***\AppData\Local
also delete the firestorm folder found in the roaming folder...
these are considered hidden files and don't get taken out when you uninstall the program they have to be manually
deleted.
**Once you get there all you need to do is delete the firestorm folder. look though inside it
cuz your chat logs are in there so if you want to save them you has to take them out and put them
elsewhere before deleting...
**once you delete the Firestorm folder you can close out of all that and open firestorm it will
take a sec to load cuz this is like a total clean install with out actually uninstalling your program...
its the best way.... cuz it gets rid of all the yucky that can clog you up...

Good luck! and I hope this helps you :D

It's odd, I made a new tga file and tried to use it and the viewer immediately crashed. When I logged on and tried to use the same tga file again, it worked without any problems. This makes me even -more- confused. 

The tga files that were causing the crashes aren't corrupt. I can open them up in photoshop and even use them on other programs just fine. 

That is NOT how you do a clean install... Follow these instructions from the Firestorm team.

Uninstall Any/All Copies of Firestorm

Windows

Remove Application

Ideally, use the Programs & Features Control Panel [Vista, Win7, Win8], or Add/Remove Programs Control Panel [XP] to remove Firestorm, or simply delete the entire installation folder. This is typically located at: C:\Program Files\Firestorm for 32-bit or C:\Program Files(X86)\Firestorm for 64-bit Windows systems. You will be left with the folder in the Start menu, however, which is why it is preferable to uninstall as previously described.

Delete Settings

Firestorm settings can become corrupt, particularly if you recently crashed; the files may not save completely, so important information can become “scrambled”. For this reason, wiping your settings, while “painful”, may be necessary. Here is how:

• Use the file manager (Windows Explorer) to locate the settings folder. In its default location, the folder is hidden on most OSs. To find it, you will need to show hidden folders. Now you need to locate the settings folder:
    • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[uSERNAME]\Application Data\Firestorm
    • Windows Vista, 7, or 8: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm

NOTE: If you wish to preserve your chat logs and/or contact sets, then you will need to make a backup copy of them before deleting the contents of the folder just named.
The folder contains one or more folders in turn, each one named after your SL user name(s). Inside each of these folders, locate the chat log files. These will have the names of your groups and the people with whom you have had conversations. The contact sets file is named settings_friends_groups.xml. Select the chat log files, and the contact sets file (settings_friends_groups.xml), if you wish, and copy them to a location you can easily locate later, like a temporary folder on your deskstop. After this, you can erase the entire contents of the Firestorm folder.
Then proceed as described below, install (or reinstall) the viewer, and run it once to have it recreate the default files. Once you have logged out again, you can copy the chat logs and contact sets file back where they were.

Delete Cache

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[uSERNAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Firestorm
  • Windows Vista, 7, or 8: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\Firestorm

Clear Custom Cache

If you have created a cache for Firestorm outside of the Firestorm folder, then delete everything inside it now, and remember to reset that location after next login.

• To preserve things like saved chat logs, rename the Firestorm folder - for example, append the current date to the name, such as: Firestorm-12Jan2011

If you do not need to save chat logs, then simply delete the entire folder named Firestorm and everything inside it.

Intoxicate wrote:

It's odd, I made a new tga file and tried to use it and the viewer immediately crashed. When I logged on and tried to use the same tga file again, it worked without any problems. This makes me even -more- confused. 

The tga files that were causing the crashes aren't corrupt. I can open them up in photoshop and even use them on other programs just fine. 

If you have to spenda few minutes finding the file when you are trying to upload it it can cause a crash.  Save them as PNGs, they will work just fine.

on a side not. does anyone know if there is a file type that can be made shiney and still have transparancies to it? IC make a shiney lace.

I... know how to do a clean install of firestorm. The recent updates mandated it. That is not the issue. This issue actually presented itself  before the update, but i wasn't sure about what exactly was causing the crashes until now, once i realized the sequence in which the crashes would occur (they'd only happen when trying to use .tga files, and would happen immediately upon selecting those files). 

There was no delay in selecting the files, the viewer would just crash immediately upon selection. 

I suppose pngs will have to work. 

I'm still perplexed about the esc button hot resetting my camera view though...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.