Why has the permissions button disappeared and I can no long give people edit rights?

rossetti5162

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Rosetti,

You are the 2nd person to comment on this in the past week. ~~ If you are not seeing the Permissions option when following this procedure:

[sL Viewer Instructions]

1) Crtl-Shift-F to pop up the Friends Dialog
2) Scroll thru the Online or All list and select his name
3) Right-Mouse click on his name and display his Profile
4) On the right side of dialog screen select the gear and choose Permissions
5) Check the Permissions you want him to have.
6) After reading the warning, press the Save button.

Remember to revoke his permissions once everything is completed.

I would like to suggest that you perform a Clean Install of the Official SL Viewer. It is possible that  during the update cycles of the official SL viewer that one of the configuration XML files has become corrupt. Instructions follow:

1) Reinstall SL again using the official version from Linden Lab. [be sure to do a clean install]

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life...

Here is the Windows 8 Manual System File cleanup procedure since it's not in the procedure above.

Windows 8
1.Using File Explorer -> Libraries / Computer / ( C: ) / Users /
2.Press the Continue button to get permission to obtain permanent permission edit this directory.
3.From the View drop-down menu option select Options & Change Folder & Search Options
4.Select the View Tab
5.Under the Hidden Files and Folders options click on the - O Show hidden files, folders & Drives radio button
6.Push the Apply Button then the OK button.
7.Open C:\Users\\AppData\Local and delete the contents of your Temp folder and the SecondLife folder.
8.Uninstall Second Life using the Programs and Features tool in the Windows Control Panel.
9.Download and install the latest release of the Second Life Viewer from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/.

2) Login using that Viewer and wait for a complete Login and Inventory rebuild.

3) Check to see if the Permissions Feature has been restored.

Please update your question [ X ] with your status [ X ] with additional information as follows: Select the Options drop-down menu to the right of your question and select Edit Question. 

• Like 1

Quick question. Are you on a Mac? The reason I ask is the last person to report this issue was using a Mac PC.

On all my PCs [ 1 64 bit Vista - 2 Windows 7 Pro  - 1 Windows 8 Pro ] where I have the official SL viewer loaded, the Permissions option is present in-world as well as being present in the MySecondLife.com page.

ive looked for this feature aswell some days ago to help a friend who was using the SL viewer and we couldnt find it.

then some days later, another friend told me that now, permissions to friends have to be done from the mysecondlife.com, ive havent checked it, since i dont use this viewer but well, it worth a try.

otherwise, dl another viewer like the singularity or firestorm, these features are still ok there

ETA : i just checked the mysecondlife.com dashboard and yes, there is a gear in front of each persons in the friendlist and you can give from there your perms to one of your friends from there

• Like 2

I asked the  same thing  and  even have  talked live to rep, and  sent  in a support ticket ,,  they  told  me  it s  known issue and  they  are working  on  it .....coughs...so they say.....i sent this  in over 2  weeks ago  and still it  isnt  fixed , so join the crowd rossetti...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.