Same outfit - Other derivations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thank you for that as well. I've discovered other words and phrases in common usage (at least in my life) that turned out to be of nautical origin.

My father used the phrase 'by and large' all the time, and I knew exactly what he meant by it just because I'd heard it in context so many times. Wasn't until I read one of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey novels that I learned it had an actual nautical meaning. Fair enough, since my father was a Naval officer at one time (tragically born too late for the age of sail).

There was another expression I saw in one of the Aubrey books that Dad used all the time and it wasn't until seeing it in context that I realized its origin. I'm damned if I can remember it right now; I actually started writing this post hoping it would come to me. Oh well. Thanks for the etymologic information in any case.

ETA: Whew. I went and looked at Google and for a minute there I thought that Dr. Maturin had bamboozled me, as well as the character he was speaking to in the story I recalled. I was right, though. It is nautical. This link http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/by-and-large.html  explains it quite well.

ETA: The second one came to me in the middle of the night: 'shove off', meaning 'to leave' as in, 'It's about time for us to shove off.' Literally, in nautical terms: shoving against a hull or pier to start a rowboat on its way.

No it isn't like another virtual world I can think of, in which blank templates are sold, and then you can see the different versions available, and buy what you want.

You just have to search marketplace by key word and type of thing you want and hope for the best. I recommend searching by price if you are new. A lot of designers offer something free or cheap so you can try their product. (Not Demo - Demo will say Demo on it. You only want that if you need to try out something specific.)

If you want to create stuff you can buy some templates, but that's another story.

xIITaylorIIx wrote:

Well that's some info, thankyou. My question is now ... the learning schedule say 9PM to 12PM. Iam assuming SLT means Second Life time so I look on my viewer and see 12:56 PM PDT. Here is it 21:56 (nearly 10PM). So again, very confused lol .... What is 9PM SLT in my viewers time. Gee I don't know if I even understand myself anymore
:(
I think I need a break
:D

SL time and PST are the same. SLT is SL time.

You can adjust daylight in  your own view by choosing World/Environment settings in your SL viewer. Then choose the time of day you want. It doesn't change your clock in SL, just the visuals - night or day. Sunrise or Sunset. And it only lasts until you log out. You will need to do it again if you want it changed next time too.

It is nice to see someone who I believe is actually new, asking questions, vs. an alt of a regular.  ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.