Viewer Log "Reliable Packets stats"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At rhe end of viewer logs are some netwrok stats, including a line for "reliable packets" # and %.

What is this?  Its always well under 100%, which on the face of it doesnt sound good.   A short SL session where I just go to my home walk around nd quit, all with 'perfect' on scrren experience, its 80%.

An hour of activity, sailing etc its more like50% - 60%.   What is this sta and does it matter?

(In contrast the dropped packets # is extremely low).

JoyofRLC Acker wrote:

At rhe end of viewer logs are some netwrok stats, including a line for "reliable packets" # and %.

What is this?  Its always well under 100%, which on the face of it doesnt sound good.   A short SL session where I just go to my home walk around nd quit, all with 'perfect' on scrren experience, its 80%.

The reliable packets are those that have been sent, even when it means some of them have not arrived yet. The longer they need to arrive t the less reliable they are considered. So you'll hardly ever get to a full one hundred. There's always a percentage of packets not arriving immediately by delays or loading issues.

An hour of activity, sailing etc its more like50% - 60%.   What is this sta and does it matter?

That stat means the same. Of course when you cross sims for instance, the percentage of reliable packets will drop.  Even more packets need to arrive if arriving at all ( think of objects, textures and scripts still loading because of the sceneric updates ). When crossing several simborders after another, the stats will drop because not everything needs to be loaded ( the previous sim you left will not need to be fully visible and therefore loaded when the next crossing occurs). The stat will get redefined for the current sim you are in.

(In contrast the dropped packets # is extremely low).

Of course. Dropped packets are packets that have become unreliable and have to be resent. The less that happens the more stabler your connection is, but it doesn't say anything about the percentage of reliable packets arriving at any given time at your PC.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.