Blender: view of mesh clipped

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Out of the blue, part of the view of my house gets clipped off like this:

Screen Shot 2013-06-24 at 10.27.21 AM.png

It does not matter how close or far I am, it is how the build is rotated. The whole back half of the house is affected, but not the front.

I went into the "Clip" setting in View (though I had not changed anything there, and that did not fix it.  If I made the end clip distance anything less that 10KM, which is the max, more of the house starts disappearing.

Anyone have any idea what other setting I might have inadvertantly changed? 

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

I don't know the first thing about Blender, but the only thing I can think of is a combination of size, the way your model is rotated (pivot..as in does it rotate around its centre, the grid centre etc.), near clipping and unit setup. Any of these can cause clipping.

Thanks I will see if I can find anything like this.

Also discovered that if I tab into Perspective, the house disappears completely.

Objects that are very large or very small can run into issues with Blender's clipping range. It has a start and end value.

The easiest way to think of it is as though you were viewing your object inside of a cylinder that can be stretched and squished, where the start and end values are respectively manipulating the front and back of the cylinder respectively.

It's hard to describe it in words, so lets just say the smaller the start value, the closer you can get to your object without the viewport camera clipping through the front of your object and the larger you set the end value, the further you can move from the object in 3d space without the back of the object disappearing from view.

I will often set the start value to .01 or even .001 when I need to get really close to my model, but realize that this can have some bad affects on how the wireframe is drawn, and perhaps some side-effects I'm not aware of. One way you could combat this is by purposely working at a miniature scale (or scale your object up in the case of a tiny thing) and only scale it to export for use in Second Life (or whatever).

The lens value is analogous to the focal length of the lens and affects how much perspective skews the viewport when not in ortho mode. In perspective mode, having this set too low can cause clipping too, since the object is being skewed towards you more than in ortho. And as Gaia noted below, there is no clipping in ortho mode.

Capture.PNG

Correct. I just assumed that since she said "Tab into perspective mode", perhaps she was in perspective mode without realizing it.

Pressing tab takes you in and out of edit/object mode by default.

*Edited my post a bit.

PS: By the way, that mansion looks incredible. Just thought I'd mention.

"There is no clipping when you work in "Orthographic" mode"

There is in my Blender (2.66a). It's set by View:Clip:End and is at 1000 by default. So the object has to be very big before you see the effect (try a default cube; Scale x 600; zoom out and rotate view until you see it). I guess you can encounter it by moving that far away from the origin too. You can raise it to 10000 in the Properties panel, but not more. I think it's just Start only affects perspective mode (according to the hover tips).

oups, sorry. You are right, and i meant the opposite. And i guess that is not actually named "clipping": When you approach an object with the camera while in perspective mode, then as soon as you get "too close", parts of the object "disappear" (i believe the camera passes the objects surface).

But in orthographic mode you can get as close to the object as you like (well, as close as Blender lets you) without the object disappearing.

The image of the house looks like something similar happened here as well.

The clipping thing I knew about, but it had no effect. I just got lucky and followed Kwak's tip about 3D navigation and hit the right button. Don't ask me how or why I evidently managed to mess it up, just sometimes I hit the wrong keys and there I go....

Gaia Clary wrote:

oups, sorry. You are right, and i meant the opposite. And i guess that is not actually named "clipping": When you approach an object with the camera while in perspective mode, then as soon as you get "too close", parts of the object "disappear" (i believe the camera passes the objects surface).

But in orthographic mode you can get as close to the object as you like (well, as close as Blender lets you) without the object disappearing.

The image of the house looks like something similar happened here as well.

It did not have to do with how close I got (as with clipping) but when I rotated around the house. It only affected the back half, tho. 

• 2 years later...

Pamela Galli wrote:

I clicked View to Selected in the 3D Navigation panel of Obect tools and that fixed it.  Whew!

Oh, screwing up Blender, let me count the ways...

Thanks for the help, guys!

I periodically have this same problem, and can never remember what the fix was, so I find this thread. However, now I cannot find the View to Selected where I say I found it above.  Can anyone figure out what I am talking about? 

ETA  Found it again. Note to self:  It is under the View menu > View Selected (Numpad .)  And stop doing that!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.